Loose Minolta MC/MD adapters?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Tipton, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I have a lot of legacy Minolta MC/MD lens, and consequently I have adapters for my A7ii. All of the adapters - from 3 different manufacturers (Fotasy, Fotiodox and K&F) - are loose. The lens rattles when attached. The K&F Concept adapter is less loose, but it still rattles a little.

The adapters I have for other mounts - Konica AR, Contax Yashica, etc, don't rattle, and they're by the same manufacturers.

Is anybody else having this problem? Is there a different adapter that doesn't rattle?

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Is this on the lens side, or the camera side of the adapter? I have only one Fotodiox Pro Minolta adapter. I found out there are some leaf springs just under the lens side rim. If you expand those just a little bit with a flathead screwdriver, it tightened up the lens mount a bit. It only took a real little bit of expansion - try a real little bit at a time.

If it's on the camera side, I don't see any kind of adjustment there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have a lot of Minolta SR/MC/MD -> E-mount adapters and they are tight or loose but there's no rattle/play. I primarily use Novoflex adapters which are not very tight-fitting and the Chinese knock-offs branded Pixco. I try to avoid other cheap adapters, until the Pixco-branded stuff goes downhill with the quality the next time I buy one. I once had a Kipon shift adapter for Nikon F -> ยต4/3 and the Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55 was rattling in the mount.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    If it's coming from the adapter-to-camera mount end, then the pin slot was machined to wide. I've found some of my adapters have this excessive play problem.
    I have a Fotga Minolta adapter, but it has the slightest detectable amount of play. And a Big_Is Minolta adapter that has no play. But the brand is no longer in business.

5. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    No, the lens moves around in the adapter, enough that it gives an audible rattling noise. The adapter itself is mounted tightly to the camera.

Edit: Yeah, I've found the leaf springs. They're so wimpy, I'm not sure expanding them will solve the problem. Wondering what I can use for a shim.

Edit #2: The plot thickens. My Tokina and Sigma MD mount lenses fit snug in the adapter. It's just the genuine Minolta ones that rattle.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    See if the mating piece is simply a split bayonet flange.. then simply take a small thin screwdriver and spread them slightly to increase contact with the lens' bayonet. I received a couple of these types and they came with instructions to do such adjustments. It's just chromed brass. I had to do this for a Nikon F adapter I bought.

The adapters with actual spring contacts that I own are all firm.