1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looks like our system is about to get bigger!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    New E-mount lenses to be unveiled tomorrow. Some available this year and some in 2016. I'm hoping for a 135mm prime!

Source: SonyAlphaRumors

SAR.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    At this stage, the only lens that I would like to have is a wide angle between 20 - 24mm. Preferably closer to 20, as after corrections in post (distortion and perspective), some image area is lost. The Batis 25 of course seems nice, but so far no local shop has one to even see it real life, let alone try it...

So at this moment, I am more interested in Zeiss Loxia announcements...

BTW, I am quite happy with the Nikon 20 f1.8 lens, it is a top performer. But one can hope for those things that are not required, but nice to have: real manual focus, precision construction, exif...

3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Usually, when a lens is designed for software correction to be done for distortion, it is made wider than its specification so that the final corrected result matches the promised focal length.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've also read a rumor that the a6000 successor (a6100, a7000 ?) will be announced in the next following days

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Hopefully they won't abandon APS-C segment.

Can't sell too many FF bodies without getting people into your ecosystem first.

After many years of delays, Canon finally has a decent APS-C mirrorless body, granted feature wise it's around where Sony was three years ago, but if they start cranking out lenses for it Sony may see them grabbing more of the mirrorless market. Even with that old Canon sensor.

• Like Like x 2
  6. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I canceled my Baits 85 order to wait for the FE 135/2.0 (or 1.8). I wish it is true.

a4NjqvT.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Danske

Danske TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 16, 2015
    I just want a lightweight portrait lens - longer than 50mm, lighter than the Batis 85. Please and thank you. :)

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Here is the link if anyone wants to watch live.

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/products/events-broadcast-ibc

I am unsure what will come from this. The conference is geared towards recording professionals. There is no official word from Sony, all this is from SAR and similar rumor sites.

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    An 135mm lens is obvious, what I also think we are missing is a wide to normal tele everyday lens, eg an 16-70mm like the Zeiss for the aps-c bodies...

...or maybe I'm just expressing what I wish I could have :D A non-zeiss one (ie. Affordable G for example) would be nice :)

The system is totally missing a wider than 28mm prime too

10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, what system is missing is subject to interpretation, and I am afraid Sony's interpretation is different from users'.

We absolutely have wide primes. 12mm (16+UWA), 16mm, 20mm.

The problem is of course that 16mm is not a very good lens (althought can be used to get acceptable results). Don't know much about 20mm.

And we have both the 16-50 and 18-55. Of course, again, neither is truly a stellar lens. Although 18-55 is good as long as you don't have a strongly backlit subject and the contrast goes south in a hurry. But you know what I mean.

But if you believe that these lenses are "good enough" as Sony management seems to think, then we already have a good line up in E-mount and the only thing missing is a 90mm - 135 mm portrait prime. Which being a specialty lens doesn't need to be a compact E mount so releasing a sizable $800 FE should plug that gap.

So far that seems to be their thinking. I hope I am wrong.

Personally, what I'd like to see (all in E mount, as opposed to the heftier and pricier FE) is a redesigned 16mm (or a dedicated 12mm decent, autofocusing prime); a redesigned 16-50 or better else 16-55/4G that is much more compact than 18-105 and much cheaper than 16-70 and has IQ at least as good, or better, than 18-105 (it should, at that range); and while we have the party going, why not give us a cheaper version of 10-18, say something like Canon EF-M 11-22 for $350 ? Heck I'd be happy with 12-24 if it's good optically, compact, and reasonably priced. Now combine it with A6100 that has IBIS and I am set for the next 3-4 years.

Otherwise, I may eventually end up with something like Canon M6, if they finally decide to get serious about mirrorless I'd expect them to produce a crapload of good reasonably priced glass for it pronto, that's something Canon is very good at.

11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I was referring to the FE system and lenses since title of the SAR roadmap says "Short term goal:a total of More than 20 FE lenses" ;)

12. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I don't need any new lenses enough to splash the likely cash required. :( I just want a small 24-30 MP version of the A7R2...

13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Oh, my bad.

Then I'd believe this rumor - Sony seems to have put E lenses on hold while developing FE lenses. While I understand where they are coming from, I have no intention to switch to a FF body or lenses (due both to cost and even more importantly, size and weight) so I am not very happy with that.

Although coming to think of it the only lens I am really missing is a better 16/2.8.

14. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I am REALLY hoping the long-awaited a6000 successor (or whatever the appropriate term for a model slotted in above the a6000 should be) gets announced tomorrow, 9/11 at IBC! Otherwise, with the current sale that's running, I canna wait any longer... I'm gonna finally pull the trigger upgrading to an a6000.

While I've been somewhat of the resident a3000 defender, I can now admit that I am finding it - particularly the screen and EVF - limiting now. It was great to start out with, but I need/want something better.

Of course, I'd also like IBIS for my long legacy lenses - thus the hope for something new.

15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    If no IBIS, it would be very hard to top A6000.

16. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    I'm crossing my fingers for a pancake FE lens from Sony at some point. A 40/1.8 would be perfect as a walkaround lens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I agree, from my perspective IBIS would be the most desirable addition. But the rumors over at SAR have lately swirled around:
    - improved sensor (either BSI or more megapixels);
    - lower noise / better high-ISO performance;
    - higher resolution EVF; and
    - 4K video.
    (sorry if this is off-topic from the original post, so...)

And I'd love to see some more APS-C native E-mount lenses, like a more affordable 24/2.8 or a faster kit-range zoom, like a constant 2.8/16-50 zoom, similar to the A-mount SAL1650. :)

18. Dennis Koh

Dennis Koh TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    I am feeling that the 24-70 f4 is not performing as nice as it should be considering the price of the lens. Would be nice to have an f2.8 substitute. Would have gotten the 24-70 f2.8 with adapter if I had known before.

19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I agree that the IBIS would be awesome. Other than that, I am very happy with my A6000 and plan on staying with it for many years.

I am more interested as there have been some deep rumors that Sony has abandoned the APS-C side in favor of FF.

20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    . . . and nothing for the APS-C faithful.

A 4K A7 model though.