1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looks like I packed way too much !

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by izTheViz, May 28, 2014.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Guys,

Each time I have to pack my photo bag I have almost no limit and end up with too much lenses. Why ? Cause I shoot with primes and I want to be sure to have the most accurate lens for each situation, even if the situation never show up.
    And each time is the same story, I
    will use 3 lenses max.
    I am travelling to South Africa for
    business and before staying at Johannesburg I am going to
    Cape Town. Wow ! So many things to shoot there. I couldn't stick to the minimum and took 5, yes 5 glasses along with my A7 :20,24,35,50&100...all FDs and quite heavy. Crazy....
    I'd really like to optimize this and I am starting to think about buying one native zoom. Still, I believe that my FDn35 will perform better at 35...and my 24 better at 24 and so on...
    A true dilemma.

To all legacy prime glasses lovers, how do you proceed ?

Yannis

forgot to say that my 5n is in as a backup...

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Seems like 24/50/100 would cover a basic trip like you described.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Roundball is onto something. In the old days of film that (24/50/100) was the Holy Trinity as a travel lens kit. You basically pick the widest lens you think you'll need and then double the focal length (roughly) for each step. You could adjust it toward wider or longer as needed: 18/35/75 or 35/75/135 or go with four lenses instead: 12/24/50/100 or the like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And as far as zooms go, I'm finding a lot of utility in some good quality Canon FD zooms on the NEX-7.
    Already had a couple and have added some...so far I've been really pleased using them for my purposes which is usually outdoors, good light, for nature type shots and I'm not needing super fast primes...

28-85/4.0 ***
    35-105/3.5 ***
    50-135/3.5 ***
    70-150/4.5 ***
    80-200/4.0-L
    And a Canon FD 35-70 / 2.8-3.5 *** should arrive today
    ( *** this particular class of FD zooms are often written about having 'L' like characteristics and so far I'm impressed )
    The main primes I use are Canon FD 300mm & 400mm teles...the rest of the primes are just stored safely right now.

As you know, while prices for legacy lenses do seem to be inching up as more people discover their use on digital bodies with adapters, they are still incredibly low priced for what you get...the price of a few double whoppers & fries and you have a mint condition lens vs. hundreds/hundreds of dollars for todays full auto everything point & shoot lenses.

So in summary, unless all your shooting is going be low light or indoors where very fast lenses are a benefit, don't ignore a couple good quality zooms as an option for a vacation trip...

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's actually a great tip! The lenses I'd have suggested (before reading the above statement ;)) would have been 12mm, 24mm and 50mm. Of course, if you need 100mm (and don't have a 12mm anyway) you should take 24, 50 and 100mm.

For a complete setup, my recommendation would be 12mm, 24mm, 50mm and a 70-200mm f/4. Yep, these are four lenses, but there you got covered really everything that could happen.

6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Since you are bringing your 5N as well, you could set you cameras up to minimize lens swapping. For example, if you use 24mm and 50mm equivalent the most, put the 24mm on your A7 and the 35mm on your 5N to get 50mm equivalent. When you need 35mm, you can swap to the A7. Obviously the 5N won't give you the same quality but I'd say you are more likely to miss a shot if you have to switch lenses all the time. If you are comfortable with your 50mm equiv on your 5N, then you don't need to bring a 50mm lens with you.

7. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks for your answers. Didn't know that rule of "double". I got one FD zoom recently (35-105 3.5) but found it disappointing compared to the primes not because they are faster but sharper...hence I left it home.
    I've just arrived, the weather could be better, far better but that's life. Finally my bag didn't seemed to heavy during transit.
    Yeah I'll probably swap between the 5N and the A7. I still love my 5N, still very capable camera.

Took this one upon boarding to Cape Town and edited it in the plane. That FD 20 is fun !

14111683267_c6ba8665f8_b.
    Boarding for Cape Town - Johannesburg Airport - South Africa par IzTheViz, sur Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  8. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sorry for digging up an old(ish) post, but I often find myself in the same situation. I spent the day at the Cloisters in New York yesterday and brought WAY too many lenses. I brought the NEX-6, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 135mm, 35-70 zoom, SEL1650 kit lens AND my Canon 60D with 17-55 zoom! I spent a good amount of time during the day changing lenses and even got a spec of dust on the NEX-6's sensor that I couldn't shake. I really should have just brought the 50mm 1.4 on the NEX-6 and the Canon 60D with the 17-55 and kept the 135mm in the bag to swap onto the NEX-6 if needed. Especially now that i'll be traveling with a baby (6 months old now) on vacation, i've got to limit the gear I bring with me. I can certainly bring more when I go away for several days, but I'll most likely leave most of it at wherever my "base camp" is and choose 1 or 2 lenses for each day based on where we're going. I want to get a decent camera backpack (looking at a lowepro) that has room for camera stuff on the bottom and "other" stuff at the top. Have to balance living in the now with saving memories for the future!

-James

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It really depends on what I am doing.

A family outing I will pick one lens, maybe two and go with it. However, if going out just one a picture taking excursion, I will take more.

10. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    That's where the lines get blurred for me. I always look at family outings as "picture taking excursions"...although they shouldn't be!

-James