Looking to get a MD-NEX Lens Turbo, any more advice?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Aaronius31, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    So I'm looking to stray away from anything non-Minolta since I love the feel and quality of Minolta MD/MC lenses. I want to get a MD-NEX Lens Turbo and have read up on most of the pros/cons and want to use it with a soon-to-buy Minolta MD W ROKKOR-X 24mm f/2.8 for astrophotography. Plus I am really thirsting for the full frame FOV. Is there any advice you have for me? Now is your chance to give me your opinion as I want to know all the viewpoints to making this move.

I'll be doing mainly astrophotography, landscapes, and portraits.

2. nightcapphoto

nightcapphoto TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Columbia, SC USA
    Stewart Grinton
    I am considering the very same thing, only a Nikon-Nex6 adapter. I too want to use it for wide field astrophotos. But at the moment I am more compelled to purchase the iOptron Skytracker and just use a dumb Nikon adapter. I want to be ready for Comet ISON.

Anyway, if you pull the trigger I would be interested in hearing about your results.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I was considering a similar approach to astrophotography. But I've been put off by the softness around the edges of the frame with these adapter/boosters. It seems that they work great for portraits, but I don't think they'll work as well for landscapes, or anything where you want sharpness across the frame.

But I'm only going off the samples I've seen online, no personal experience here.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I bought the MD and the canon FD lens turbo.

The MD is a bit softer with the 1.4 50 I was testing it on. With my 135, and 28 2.8 they were both workable at the lens widest aperture. Stopped down they are pretty good but not as sharp or contrasty as without the turbo. Sometimes the colors are a bit on the green side.

I sold the MD turbo.

The FD is a bit better all around but probably because of the lens to sensor distance. I use it mostly with my FD 1.2 55mm for concert photography.

Not sure how it would fair with asto

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've got no experience or knowledge about astrophotography, but in view of the nature of the subject I expect you to want sharpness across the frame. If that is so, you may be disappointed with the Rokkor 24/2.8, even stopped down. A Sigma E 30/2.8 is the better choice in that case or a Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 if you're prepared to spend that kind of money. Says someone (me) that has all the Minolta 24mm options at hand.

6. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Since the OP is looking for something closer to 24mm FF equivalent, wouldn't the Sigma E 19mm be more appropriate? I think the performance is pretty similar to the 30mm... maybe not quite as good.

7. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Thank you all for the advice. I am going SR-mount simply because I already have the 50/1.4, and really want the Beercan because zi just got a steal-of-a-deal SR 2x Teleconverter for a measly $4 at Goodwill in perfect condition. And I just sold off my Canon EF 70-210 f/4 so there's no turning back! Are there any SR/MD/MC wide-angles any of you could reccomend that is under $250 (preferably lower if the quality is there). Other than the 16mm, 20mm, and 24mm, it seems the MDs are hard to find or cost too much. Are there any sharp Vivitars, Albinars. Etc. anyonce can reccomend? Thanks! If I don't end up finding a good wide-angle, I guess I won't be getting the Lens Turbo and switch over to Canon...

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I am also interested in getting one, are people buying them off eBay?