1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking to come back to Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 15, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    A while back I picked up a Fuji XE1 and spent some time working with Fuji and their X-Trans files. I have nothing bad to say about it really. The camera is a brilliant design, easy on the eyes, feels good in the hand and has a terrific UI. I paired mine with the amazing 35/1.4 and it was really capable of some amazing images.

Unfortunately my love of shooting adapted lenses has brought me back to Sony. As good as the Fuji and the 35/1.4 are (which is REALLY good) I just wasn't enjoying using the system because Fuji's support for using adapted lenses leaves a lot to be desired. Everyone is different but in my case the lack of a flip down screen on the XE1 and very basic focus peaking made using adapted lenses a real chore. I had gotten to the point where I had put all my Minoltas away and was just shooting Fuji native glass. The. A friend loaned me an a6000 for the weekend and it was an absolute blast. It's fast, I was able to lock focus quickly and easily with the red focus peaking on and for the first time in many months I was really having fun shooting again.

Even though I actually feel like the Fuji's images have some real advantages (especially in low light) over the ones from the a6000 I loved the way the a6000 put a huge smile across my face. I have the Fuji gear for sale and hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be making my way back here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice to see you back Kevin!!! Being missing your posts here ;)

The A6000 is such a great camera especially considering how little money buying one is now ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Well I still need to sell the XE1 and buy the a6000 but I am confident it will happen eventually (I had to change my previous ad in the Buy/Sell area). I am looking forward to shooting with my Minoltas and Konicas again. I have really missed that. I even have some nifty Olympus OM lenses to try out these days. I the meantime I may just need to borrow this a6000 loaner a few more times.:eek-30:

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes! I agree with Nick, it's great to see you back here, Kevin. And I too am looking forward to seeing what you do with that A6000.

5. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Kevin, get an a7, and you won't miss the IQ from Fuji at all :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Maybe at some future point. o_O
    Interestingly, the IQ on the a6000 and even my old 5N was close enough to the Fuji that I doubt I'll miss much. The XF35 on the other hand...THAT I'll miss.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I was looking at some various option that have been presented to me so far and some are pretty interesting. There are a number of models that would suit me because I have some pretty specific needs and quite a few bodies (even older ones) fit the bill nicely. I need flip screen and peaking. I also liked the speed of my old 5n so anything from the 5R/5T/6 to the a6000 would be fine.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    So I have a question. As much as I liked the a6000 I am not entirely sold on it because of a few reasons:

1. The EVF protrudes out far enough that it blocks the LCD (which I use primarily)
    2. I thought that the images looked a bit nosier compared to my 5n
    3. Simple economics

I am perfectly happy to look at some other models and seeing as I am very familiar with the 5n I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the NEX 5n/5R/5T or the a5100? I rather like that the 5T has a top wheel and WiFi.