1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for tips / tricks / advice on taking video and shots of approaching objects

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Need your help, I am very frustrated...

Last night, I went to my kids' elementary school graduation ceremony. It was in the gym, not so bright lighting, so I decided to use my SEL50F1.8. At first, it was awesome - shooting accross the gym, I have photos of my kids that are still sharp and useable at 100% crop.

Then, however, as the kids stood up and went out in a procession, the lens fell flat on it's face - completely unable to keep up. As the kids got closer and closer, it would focus in.. out... in ... out... not being able to acquire and hold focus on a subject moving toward the lens.

So, I need to figure out to make this work in the future.

Here's what I had:

Lens - SEL50F1.8. This may be my 1st mistake as it's not exactly known for a fast focus. OTOH, the kit lens would not be as sharp in the limited light available.

Focus set to flexible point, center of screen. Perhaps this was the second problem ? The camera was trying to track focus, but may be I should have set it to multi.

No face detection. Again, this could have helped, if I had "trained" it on my daughter's face. But to set all of these settings (face detection, object tracking, multi focus, etc.) would require going through the menus - time that I didn't have.

So, what do you do when you need to quickly switch from taking photos of stationary people to shooting photos or videos of people walking towards and past you ? Any tricks ?