Looking for tips / tricks / advice on taking video and shots of approaching objects

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Need your help, I am very frustrated...

Last night, I went to my kids' elementary school graduation ceremony. It was in the gym, not so bright lighting, so I decided to use my SEL50F1.8. At first, it was awesome - shooting accross the gym, I have photos of my kids that are still sharp and useable at 100% crop.

Then, however, as the kids stood up and went out in a procession, the lens fell flat on it's face - completely unable to keep up. As the kids got closer and closer, it would focus in.. out... in ... out... not being able to acquire and hold focus on a subject moving toward the lens.

So, I need to figure out to make this work in the future.

Here's what I had:

Lens - SEL50F1.8. This may be my 1st mistake as it's not exactly known for a fast focus. OTOH, the kit lens would not be as sharp in the limited light available.

Focus set to flexible point, center of screen. Perhaps this was the second problem ? The camera was trying to track focus, but may be I should have set it to multi.

No face detection. Again, this could have helped, if I had "trained" it on my daughter's face. But to set all of these settings (face detection, object tracking, multi focus, etc.) would require going through the menus - time that I didn't have.

So, what do you do when you need to quickly switch from taking photos of stationary people to shooting photos or videos of people walking towards and past you ? Any tricks ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.