1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for recommendations on a good SMALL backpack

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Aug 13, 2016.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't know if you can wait buy if you can, then IMO this is the backpack to get:
    Award Winning Everyday Bags | Peak Design Bags

The everyday backpack is currently on kickstarter and available in 2 sizes - the smaller one fits what you're looking I reckon.
    Wish I could afford one :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Take a look at f-stop
    Expensive yes but very well made and ergonomics are just awesome :D
    + having different ICU's containing your different systems and setups makes it so versatile.
    Ive got the Guru and the Tilopa BC, the medium slope and large pro ICU's. A couple of small and one more medium slope is on the wishlist.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  4. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I am also looking for a backpack and heard great things about the f-stop bags. They seemed expensive, but extremely well made, as you said. Then I started hearing how difficult it is to actually get one in stock and came across this article. An Inside Look at F-Stop, A Bag Company Falling Apart at the Seams - Resource Magazine A shame given how much people seem to like their products.

The Peak Design bags look great, Nick. Only downside for me is that there doesn't seem to be any real waist support (which I guess is not a problem if you are traveling very light).

I ordered and am checking out bags from Mindshift (a division of Think Tank). I really like the idea of their rotation series, which allows you to access gear quickly and in front of you without taking the pack off, but it is also pricey and the camera compartment doesn't fit much gear, although they have an insert for the top section if you need more gear room (but then you lose space for non-gear). rotation180° Panorama 22L. Mindshift has some other bags that I like also, such as their ultralight series which might not work great for Steve, but look good for travel when you expect to be doing hiking and need to go light and have room for layers, etc. Also available in various sizes -- this is the middle size: UltraLight™ Dual 25L

Unfortunately the prices seem to go up considerably when something is made specifically for photographers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There IS a waist strap on the everyday backpack (although we don't know how well it works since this bag has not yet shipped)

I was a previous ThinkTank fan, but now Peak Design is where my heart is :D
    So, I may be biased but I think their products are very well thought out, the designs are amazing from also an aesthetic point of view and personally I love their stuff. Expensive yes, but IMO you get what you pay for :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I agree about the design and am generally a fan of their products. I own a few (capture pro, cuff, etc.), and really considered buying a messenger bag when they came out (especially the smaller one), but ultimately decided I prefer backpacks for comfort/weight distribution (I did buy a "pouch", though, which I love). The new 20L backpack looks great, but I do have some concerns about the small waist strap and how much shoulder pressure there may be if carrying any weight. I think the bag may be better suited for urban exploration than day hiking, but I guess that is something to be seen. Unfortunately, I need something for an upcoming trip, so the Peak Design is out for that reason. I promised myself I would not join the "bag of the month club", but like cameras, it is pretty clear that there is no perfect solution for all situations. I can understand why so many people seem to have large bag collections.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I have been using a Think Tank Trifecta 8. It's light, well made, and efficient as it is made for mirrorless. Although it is small, its smart design allows me to carry my A7r, several lenses, full size tripod, and snacks. I also like that it allows me to pull the camera out without having to completely remove the backpack.

• Like Like x 1
  8. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    That is disturbing news. I really hope they get their act together since from my perspective there is nothing alike. Maybe i should place that order and get my system completed before they go totally south.

9. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I guess there is always a possibility that the troubles are overstated, but if true, it certainly doesn't sound good.

10. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I don't know if you are looking for something to just walk around city streets with, or if you want something for woods hiking to also carry a few things like first aid, rain gear, food, water bottles, etc.
    My interest was the latter and I got a GI backpack...best, most versatile, rugged, high quality backback I've ever owned...and has pockets galore.

I got the largest (#72) in a series of 3 sizes (12, 24, 72) of a particular design pack of theirs.
    Took the padded compartment section out of a traditional camera bag and set it in the bottom half of the backpack...then a jacket, gloves, hat, raingear, or whatever goes in the space above it.

Anyhow, FWIW, here's the link:
    Bug Out Bag RUSH 72 Hour Backpack | Official 5.11 Site

11. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    This is great small bag. Had one a decade ago, then after my gear grown up switched do 300, but then again it has grown up... :D

To cut the story short, I am back to 300AW for A7ii and a few lenses (including 70-200). Highly recommend if you like backpack with really quick access. Noticed that two shoulder backpacks make me lazy to access the camera, or you need to stop, sometimes even put a bag on the ground. With slingshot you will manage your camera and lenses while walking (I have rotated small barriers to face bag opening, instead how they stand vertically towards front of the bag - same access to lenses as to the camera, to the left one big and deep for 70-200, to the right two smaller ones for smaller lenses).

Anyway, I recommend bigger bag, it is not much heavier or bulkier when empty, and your gear weights same. Big one has belt, small one doesn't.

I can make a photo if it's unclear. :) :) :)

12. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Well I did place an order for some ICU's. So Ill find out.

13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    All that matters! [emoji108]

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    I had an older version of the Lowe you are considering but for me the single shoulder strap "sling" design wasn't workable (truth be known I do a lot more walking/carrying than shooting). Of course this is personal, but know what your getting into with a one shoulder design ... for me it can't be carried worry-free for very long at all. I wound up selling mine for a fraction of what I paid.

I'm currently using a Lowe BP 300 AW II (Lowepro Photo Sport BP 300 AW II (Black) LP36890 B&H Photo Video) which a like a lot but wish it were a little bigger for the non-camera essentials and had one more pocket. It has a narrow profile great for day hikes in the woods.

I also have an older version of the Lowe Fastpack BP250 (now this Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II (Black) LP36869 B&H Photo Video), which is a more traditional, wider shorter daypack design. It seems to have a little more room for non-camera stuff (despite the 250 designation), and definitely more pockets, and has a sleeve for a large notebook computer. I wind up using this one more for city jaunts and vacations.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Shipping confirmation recieved :)
    Order placed 16-08-2016
    Shipped 22-08-2016

Edit: parcel was actually Shipped 18-08-2016 from Holland.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Aaaand two small pro and a medium slope ICU recieved.
    I must admit Im surprised. I didn't expect them to send anything for another couple of weekend, must be a good customer prizething :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Maybe they are doing what they can to try to counter the bad press. In any event, glad to hear you got everything.