Looking for reasonably priced flash with HSS for off camera use with A7ii - Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dlhomesolutions, Sep 13, 2017.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 7, 2016
    I have the Yongnuo 560iv with 2 slaves and one trigger. Looking to add HSS

2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'd suggest looking at the Godox lineup, specifically the Godox TT685s / Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 (the Flashpoint being the same flash but rebranded in-house by Adorama) and the Godox V860ii / Flashpoint Zoom Li-on TTL R2. The first pair are AA-battery powered and thus much less expensive, under US$90, and the latter pair are, as the Flashpoint name hints, powered by an included rechargeable Lithium ion battery pack. For off camera use, you'd also need the Godox X1-Ts / Flashpoint R2 on-camera transmitter.

I've been using the Flashpoint-branded AA-powered versions with generally good results so far. The AA versions do seem a little slow to recycle though, so no high speed burst shooting with them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    What Steve @Hawkman@Hawkman said :D

4. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    It's not super cheap, but I like the Cactus. They have a trigger specifically made for Sony, with flashes that have built-in receivers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    +1 for the Godox, maybe have a look at the AD200 if it's for ocf only.

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    +2 for the Godox

7. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Godox is the way to go but buy them from Adorama. Adorama's are the EXACT same flashes for the same prices but you get good service and if you ever need it, repair. Many of the Godox sellers on Amazon won't even reply to an email if you ever need service. I'm sure there are some good sellers on Amazon but why take the risk?