Looking for opinion from A7r owners

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by pworden, Mar 21, 2014.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I am still thinking about the possibilities of "in the wild" insect macro with this camera. Talked to a macro shooter that had it (on another forum) who returned it because of shutter shake. His shots are typically with a rail. But, I've read since, that at fairly high shutter speeds typical of on-site insect macro, it really isn't a problem. I fully realize that lenses play a huge, huge part of final image quality, but the crop-a-bility of the A7r shots is really impressive, and no AA filter promises some extreme detail that could be seen in shots like this. But, steady, in-focus shots with macro can certainly be challenging.
    So, if an A7r owner out there has time and a macro lens, preferably over 50mm, I'd love to know what you think. At f8 or higher and at least 200th sec, Is it too hard to get a shot without blur compared to a camera with the front shutter curtain?
    Thanks!

2. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i've done some flower shots with a tamron sp 90mm, on my a7r.

when you nail the focus it's absolutely stunning, razor sharp even wide open... lots of iso range to work with... i always use a monopod, at the minimum, for that kind of shooting.

if you put a flash on those bugs, you'll be able to run a fast shutter.

try this: http://fiberstrobe.blogspot.com/

3. Dan Euritt

Jan 11, 2014
    here is a very small 100% cropped area from one of those a7r flower shots, 1/400th shutter, lens wide open at f:2.5... lost a bit of p.q. because 100% crops are always re-compressed, but you'll get the idea... that's my reflection in the big water droplet, sun over my right shoulder:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    The droplets are nice and crisp and it looks like a very small section. I try to use at least f8 and a flash - as you said above, it works well.
    I wasn't aware of re-compressing. I thought that if I get this camera I would plan to crop since most if my shots are used online and the extreme detail would be lost to most viewers, but cropping an area would show it.
    Thanks for posting the image - I like your blog - some very creative shots there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dan Euritt

Jan 11, 2014
    i wish that fiber optic flash site was mine, he has some very cool macro flash ideas.

i did that crop out of a jpeg original, which is why it got re-compressed, but if anyone is interested in seeing the original jpeg and raw file from that shot, they are zipped together here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/um04su1zzi14zls/Flowers.zip