1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for new lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ilovenex, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    So me and my wife loving our new camera 5R and we are looking for new lenses. dont know to much about them all i can say is she like taking scenic pictures and city pictures and lakes etc. we are going on a trip to grand canyan so need a nice lens for that. and im loving this website so many useful threads and helpful people. i saw few threads someone was talking about pen 38 1.8 lens and rokkor lens what are those ? where do i buy them? they look really sharp. i just ordered sigma 19mm 10 mins ago lol :)

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    The PEN 38 and ROKKOR lenses are old film camera lenses from the 70's and 80's. They are MF only and great lenses. You'll find them on ebay or for sale on various photography forms. Expect to pay $50 to $200 for them, some even more. The Olympus PEN 38mm f/1.8 is about $200 and it depends on the ROKKOR, some are cheap, some are not.

3. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    thanks alot for the reply now i get it. im sorry if i sound stupid im really new to this. does this lenses go straight on camera or i need an adapter? if i do need a adapter what is it called and where do i buy them. i remember sales guy that sold me the camera at sony store told me to buy the adapter which for $449 dollar so i can use regular sony lenses also. but i didnt buy it

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Old lenses are called Legacy lenses. For those, yes, you need an adapter. They cost $10-$15 generally, some are more, up to around $50. For the Minolta (ROKKOR) and Olympus (PEN) lenses, they run $15 tops. Ebay or Amazon is a good place to grab one. You need an adapter for each brand of lens you want to adapt to the NEX. Example, I have Nikon lenses, Minolta lenses, and an Olympus lens. Each brand gets its own adapter.

The one that costs $449 is so you can use A-mount lenses which are Sony DSLR lenses and it will allow the lens to meter and AF. There's a cheaper version that also allows you to use A-mount lenses and you get metering, but not the AF.

5. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    It sounds like a real wide would be suitable for landscaping, lakes and citties (urban landscapes). I come to think of the Sony E 10-18mm wide angle zoom. After all it fits directly on the NEX, has autofocus and OSS.

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    start with " what is my budget" and work from there, for scenic and citiscapes you really would be better off with a wide angle lens, the 19mm is not to bad, try it out and see if your shooting migrates more to the wide angle or the telephoto, ie would you like to get more background into your pictures or get closer to the action, then decide, most people new into photography race into a long zoom, then hardly ever use it because you have to get too far back or it's too big and bulky.
    That's your first decision, then work from there.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Another wide option, and quite a versatile lens for bright light shooting, is the Sony SEL16-50 lens. I don't think you can buy it by itself yet, but there are some who bought it as the kit lens with their NEX-6, and put it up for sale immediately. So you may find it for sale here, or on eBay. Heck, I just checked, and there are three for sale here!

8. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have one up for sale in the forum,absolute mint.