Looking for my camera

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jan 14, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a new camera.
    Since I am an owner of a emount (Apsc) lenses I have to stay with the aps-system (no time selling stuff over ebay and finding the money for anyhting else)

I am between the nex7 and the a6000. To be honest I was expecting for a new camera to appear end of January ( I was looking in rumors but unfortunately the latest yesterday rumor is talking about mid of this year) and simply I can not wait that long....

Everyone is running crazy about the a6000 but from my side is a very good camera but it does not really fullfil my current needs. In reality I would prefer a bit larger body or a nice grip to add below (there is a grip from a second manufacturer but no one is running very crazy about it) . Right now on the second hand market nex 7 is at the same price with the a6000 (and some times nex 7 goes cheaper).

1.What I really like with the nex 7 is the viewfinder, the buttons interface and the tri interface and the solid metal body.

2. A6000 has perhaps better higher iso performance (Btw do you know a link of someone comparing those two?). So perhaps iso iso6400 can be used compared to the nex-7 that looks on going up to 3200

3. A6000 has better autofocus performance. Okay .. but how this works in reality? If you do shooting of an event and a wedding can not the face auto focus start focusing on the wrong person? How the autofocus works on bad light though? MAny events like weddings, dance contents take part in very low light

4. Both cameras look to support HSS so both are fine in that sense.

Feel free to comment

Regards
    Alex

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just out of curiosity, what are you replacing? A Nex-6?

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am not replacing. Currently I have a powerful minolta x-700 that I could still keep using

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I thought you had a Nex, just don't remember which model :)

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I too have been considering a new E-mount body - I think I'm ready to move up from the A3000. And I came oh so close to pulling the trigger (several times) on the A6000 when it was on its $200-off sale over the Holidays in November and December. But I held off, and much of the reason was the intro of the A7 Mk.II and its new 5-axis in-body image stabilization. If that makes its way into a new higher-end APS-C Sony that sits above the A6000 in the lineup, that would be very tempting to me.

Alex, since you use a Minolta X-700, I am going to presume that you will be looking to use adapted legacy lenses, Minoltas in particular. As such, the advanced fast AF of the A6000 may not matter as much to you and the NEX-7 may be a better fit for you. However, the prospect of IBIS in a new A7000 (or A6100, or whatever they name it) may be worth waiting an extra couple months for. In-body image stabilization is going to really benefit a lot of legacy lenses, especially the longer focal lengths. I've already noticed that while KEH.com had a stock of several Minolta RF 500mm lenses for many months, their stock has dwindled down to just 2 in the last month. I suspect that might have to do with the release of the A7 Mk.II. IBIS is going to make a 500mm legacy lens a lot more... steady. And it ought to steady out a lot of shorter focal lengths as well.

So, for me, I will continue to wait and see what the next higher-end APS-C E-mount body from Sony brings us. We shouldn't have to wait too much longer for CP+ just a month away.

See also: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/my-mix-of-prediction-and-rumors-for-2015-a9-a99ii-rx2-a7000-and-more/

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for tha answers. My major problem with the rumors is that I can not rely on something. At the beginning they were saying that end of January we will have the announcment. Now it has moved back to the mid of January. I have some opportunities for photoshooting in February that simply I can not miss....
    Alex

Nick: I had a nex-f3 that I sold when I saw the prices falling. It was a wise movement since now this body costs even less.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thus the issue with rumors.

• Like Like x 1
  9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I agree. I am trying to see how much to find some comparisons (and so far I have failed)
    iso performance real test shots between nex-7 and a6000
    grip of the camera between nex-7 and a6000
    and viewfinder between the two cameras (mostly commenting on the experience).

Capabilities wise I belong to that group of people that believe that I have already more of what I need and thus I am looking for a better photography experience with my camera (better grip, viewfinder, better button layout). I care not about the absolute top performers into something. This is not me

Alex

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Alex, I certainly understand your concern with relying upon rumors. When you have a deadline - a pressing event coming up for which you NEED a new camera to make the best of it (like a wedding, a pro photoshoot, a planned trip or vacation) - then you have to get the best available at the time without regard to what might be a month or more away. I've been in that position at least once (and hence how I came to be in possession of a long zooming Sony HX100V circa Summer 2011).

11. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Another option is to rent a camera for the event.

Cameras come and go.

12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    As to your question regarding a6000 AF legitimacy in real world use and low light, I can vouch for it. It is really really good.
    Unless you have unrealistic expectations it is way way better than my 5t which was the last NEX produced and along with the NEX 6 had the best AF of them all.
    Not only is the af fast, but it is really intelligent. I am always surprised at how you can leave it on auto and it properly determines the correct af mode. Tracking, face detection, spot, etc. Even when it is incorrect, you can half press the shutter again and will adjust.

I am really impressed. With my 5t I used to use DMF exclusively on people shots, because I always had to be prepared to quickly adjust the af; not so much with a6000.

Obviously, indoor low light is not the same as good light, but it is relative becuase good light rivals the best af in the industry. Low light is still quick and accurate; particularly if you use a fast lens. Combine this with the option of setting auto iso with limits and it is very usable.

The a6000 af is not hype.

• Like Like x 2
  13. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José

+1

14. nikono

nikono TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 28, 2014
    It sounds like you're so used to the X-700's grip and loved it.
    If I were you, I'd remove the X-700's grip to superglue it onto any new camera to be satisfied. Or I'd buy a used X-700 that's sold for parts to get the grip.

15. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Alex, for event photography I would go for the a6000 over the NEX7 because of the AF improvements, regardless if I liked the NEX7 build or tri-nav layout better. If I was working at a slower pace in good light, it would be a much more difficult call. If you have an event coming up soon, I wouldn't wait on the mythical a7000.

HTH,
    Eric

• Like Like x 1