1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for hot shoe adapter for nex-5r and off camera flash options to go with

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by davin5150, Aug 13, 2013.

1. davin5150

davin5150 New to TalkEmount

Aug 13, 2013
    I can't seem to find anything to point me in the right direction.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi davin, welcome to the forum. :)

There are a couple of hot shoe adapters available. This is one option. Someone else will have to help with triggers/flashes since I don't do flash.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    what these lovely smelly shoes do? Put the flash at a different position?

Alex

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    They allow you to use a standard flash on a NEX 5 series camera. Or, you can use a radio trigger and a remote receiver to trigger an off camera flash.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    You can also buy an adapter with the transmitter already built in, and pick up one or two receivers as well.

Using a standard flash isn't recommended - The weight of the flash might be too much for the very thin connection. But a small flash might work, and the best use is for off camera flash, for more controlled lighting.

6. davin5150

davin5150 New to TalkEmount

Aug 13, 2013
    Does anyone know if these adapters work with the nex5r? I see a lot of adapters but none say specifically that they will work with my camera (5r)

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    They work. They work on all Sony cameras with the Minolta mount. They had these adaptors for a long time even before NEX came out.

8. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    I have the MSA-10 adapter (see Bimjo's link) on my original NEX-5. Works fine. I also use Cactus V5 wireless triggers with the NEX5/MSA10 and they all work together. Cactus V5s claim to work out to 100 meters so you should have no problems.

I will note that rear curtain flash doesn't seem to work with the above combination. Rear curtain flash does work using the Cactus V5s on my NEX-6, for whatever that's worth.