Looking for any suggestions...

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Sep 6, 2017.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    This is my setup this morning for photographing some of my wife's recently finished quilts.

IMG_0567.JPG
    I've got the blinds closed and I'm using my mega light to light the quilt.
    This is a result:

DSC00841.JPG
    She'll crop it down to just around the outline of the red binding to put in her scrap book.
    What do you think?
    Any suggestions are more than welcome.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I should add I'm using my FE28/2 lens on the A7ii, all while listening to that Kenny G tape on my cassette.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    On the one hand, seems like it should be fine for a scrapbook...but not knowing the degree of expectation on her part...FWIW, the central majority of the quilt seems to be noticeably brighter to me than around the sides

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Cool set up and it doesn't get any more relaxing than photographing quilts listening to Kenny G? Perhaps with a sifter of brandy.

Any way you can bounce some additional light off the side walls? It should help with the light fallout on the edges.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I noticed that too, but when I put it in my photo program and look close it really is pretty evenly lit.
    One thing I do notice is the camera says the scene is 'backlit' when I turn on the mega light.
    Not sure if I need to close the barn doors down more so only the quilt is lit and not so much of the background.
    Guess I should try it to see what happens.
    Here's a cropped shot. DSC00838-1.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    The walls are yellow so I don't want to bounce light off them, Chris.
    I don't have another stand for the other light I have. They are warm when 'ON', that is for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    So I opened the top barn door some to allow it to hit the ceiling some, and closed the side doors down a little. I think the camera may be 'seeing' too much of the background white sheet.
    Here's the SOOC jpeg of the shot I just took.
    DSC00850.JPG
    Overall to my eyes this looks better re: the edge lighting.
    What say you all?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I can only assume she hasn't been too happy with my efforts to date as she has trouble cropping them sq if they have any distortion to them. That and she keeps sending me links to articles on how to properly photograph quilts. This attempt today is following the advice of the latest article by using 'artificial' light vs out door sun light, closing the shades so I control what light there is, things like that.
    Oh, I've moved on to Huey Lewis and the News as she went shopping. =:>)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    I think all you need is a good diffusor for your lamp. Lots of diffusion needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head John!
    Why didn't I think of that?
    Here are shots taken with a plain old piece of Mylar in front of the light, and without it.
    With Mylar: DSC00885 (Large).JPG

Without Mylar DSC00881 (Large).JPG
    Even the back ground cloth looks less 'stressed' out.

Now all I have to do is find something other than a piece of glass that'll take the heat of the lamp.

• Like Like x 3
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    have you tried experimenting with multiple lights? perhaps (maybe not so simple for this item) but two lights on either side and one above through some sort of diffuser (white sheets maybe) ? for a more even light distribution ?

edit: what light is that? looks rather impressive ;) *(also just now reading the posts with the mylar... ) :D

12. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Glad i could help :) Indeed much better, but i think you could use just a bit more diffusion, even for the first pic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Well I decided to take another look at all the stuff my son-in-law left with me when he and my daughter moved to Japan.
    Guess what?
    I think I have the diffuser problem solved!
    Take a look:
    DSC00886-1 (Large).
    I figured out how to mount it on the light so there shouldn't be any need to worry about melting something either.
    I have two other lights but I'm out of stands.
    If I rig the back drop on the china hutch I should be able to free up those two stands for use with the lights.

• Like Like x 3
  14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    .. thank you for perfectly putting into words what i've been thinking of doing for my Halloween costume this year..! :2thumbs:

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    This is the light I'm working with Matt. Yeah, it's serious alright. Gets hotter than a three dollar bill when on for very long.
    DSC00888-1.

• Like Like x 3
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Well I'll have to continue this adventure in lighting tomorrow. Too much light is coming in the windows now (west facing) and the vertical blinds don't stop enough light. Can't have uncontrolled light now can we. I also need to figure out how to set up two lights off the one stand so I can eliminate the shadows. This diffuser is large so I'll have to move the camera out from under the light if I can't figure a way to get the light w/diffuser up out of the way. Stay tuned....more to come.
    Thanks for all the help today everybody!

• Like Like x 2
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Can you please turn off that Kenny G now? o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Couldn't resist one last photo with the big diffuser on the light. You can see how the light coming in the windows plays with the wall coloring. Left side is the windows (they knew that!).
    DSC00889 (Large).JPG

19. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    He's been off for quite a while now. In fact, I went thru Huey Lewis, The Boss, some Jimmy Buffet and Taj Mahal too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    I think you should stick to one light source, as subject you're working with is flat and immobile.

• Agree Agree x 1