Looking for a new A7iii

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Trusty SD1000 to the rescue. Here's a shot just taken moments ago.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's my 28-70 $100 buck special lens on it.
Sorry for the crude snapshot, I'm still moving back into my space after the floor job.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
OK, I finally opened the box.
Even though I am against charging batteries in camera, I have no choice since Sony doesnt supply a charger for external charging.
I know, youve all heard it before.
My gripe is the little cover for the usb connector port wont allow the battery to sit flat unless it is sitting on something with a ledge.
Really?
Congrats on the new camera, I just love my A73.

The USB charging is just great, so much so that I don't need a powered adapter to charge batteries seperately. I bought a cheap USB dual slot one, Newmowa, off Amazon on day 1, but have never used it. My desk lamp has a USB charging port and it charges up the camera with battery inside in about 90 minutes, plus I now carry a small RavPower USB 12,000mAh power bank ($30) for this, my phone and iPad when on all day shoots or traveling, though it does take a extra hour for a full charge. You will find the battery life on the A73 just great, I routinely shoot up to 800-1,000 photos in some sessions and still have 30% or more battery life left. Far as the USB port cover, just pull it out a bit more and twist it forward, you can set the camera flat this way when charging.

Last edited:

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The USB charging is just great, so much so that I don't need a powered adapter to charge batteries seperately.
I dunno if the A7III, with its new battery, charges differently than the older-style batteries in my A7RII, but I had a Wasabi battery swell up inside the camera while it was charging, and it took some effort to pry it out when I discovered what had happened. Maybe it was just a rare case, but it’s made me leery of charging batteries in-camera.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I dunno if the A7III, with its new battery, charges differently than the older-style batteries in my A7RII, but I had a Wasabi battery swell up inside the camera while it was charging, and it took some effort to pry it out when I discovered what had happened. Maybe it was just a rare case, but it’s made me leery of charging batteries in-camera.
THAT is what makes me leery of buying off-brand batteries. Can't see the reason when spending thousands of $$ on a very sophisticated electronic camera and then trying to save $30 on a off-brand battery. If a Sony battery was to swell up and damage the camera, Sony would fix it. Good luck with Wasabi doing that.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've read enough horror stories about batteries swelling up inside cameras when charging that I'm not one who would normally do it that way. In this case I wanted to see if the camera worked, so charging in cam was the option I took. I received a Power 2000 battery in addition to the Sony one with my camera. That one will have to wait for an external charger.
So far I've been too busy dealing with putting my part of the house back together and my computer doing weird things to have played much with the camera. I did give the manual, such as it is, a read. To say it will be a daunting task to master this beast is an understatement. My other cameras will suffer for it being around though, I can guarantee you that.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
The Newmowa dual slot USB charger I got off Amazon was only $12.99. It will charge from almost any USB source, such as iPhone wall charger or from my RavPower power bank, and has a standard Micro USB port, same as on the Sony A73 and includes the cable. It is about the size of an egg only but only 1" high. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076CHQ1PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even thought I use Sony batteries and trust the A73 to charge in camera properly, or else why would Sony offer it, I will take this charger with me when I head overseas later this year. Don't trust the quality of the electrical current at 220V in Thailand.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
When I'm filming video with the A7III, I use a USB power bank to prolong the battery life. While it still drains the battery, it does so at a much slower rate.

Plaatje

TalkEmount Rookie
That 28-70 lens , give it a fair chance. I got it for free when buying my A7 and now I use it also on my A7RII. And it’s not bad at all. I like it as my walk around lens and for portraits. It might be a bit soft but sharp enough for my needs and lovely for portraits. My A7RII came with 2 batteries and a charger. Did bought one extra but when editing the camera stays connected with the PC and charges.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom