1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking Ahead At Full Frame

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Tslayer66, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Tslayer66

Tslayer66 New to TalkEmount

Jun 3, 2014
    Hello All!

Newbie question here.

So I recently purchased the NEX 6 which I am really enjoying and absolutely amazed with. This has caused me to get the photography bug big time. Currently I have no other camera lenses. If I look down the road a few years I probably see myself with a full frame Sony camera as long as the quality is there. So my dilemma is if I am going down this full frame road then does it make sense to purchase the Sony LA-EA3 or EA4 Lens Adapter and to strictly purchase the full frame lenses? Will I lose any quality with these adapters? Which adapter makes the most sense in this scenario? Or maybe it makes sense to go with a Cannon or Nikon adapter at this point as it seems the lenses are more readily available?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Start out with legacy Nikon/Canon/Minolta etc lenses. They will all be full frame and the adaptors are like $15...

Once you have had a play with the legacy you will likely not feel the need to spend big money on Sony FF lenses! Just look at the lenses most people shoot on this forum...

Don't forget if/when you go FF, you can stay with E-Mount with the A7 range so the LA-EA3/4 would not be required still. So you could look at the SEL FE lenses but they are also expensive compare to the legacy option.

I went from the Nex-5, and then deciding if going to the A6000 or the FF A7 was the best idea. Eventually I decided that the A7 at twice the cost of the A6000, plus needed to get more FF lenses, it was not twice as good camera. So I got the A6000 and LOVE it, it's SOOOOO much better than my Nex-5. So don't think you NEED to go FF, APS-C is FANTASTIC! Even now, in 3-4 years when I look at getting a new camera, it may be APS-C again.

Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 3
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome to the asylum, Tslayer66! I see you already have the gear lust requirement satisfied. :p

Someone may correct me here, but I believe that the LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 are designed for mounting Sony (and Minolta) A-mount lenses to Sony full frame E-mount cameras, like the A7 and A7R. So they won't work on your NEX-6. And they won’t work with Canon or Nikon lenses either.

Sony's LA-EA1 and LA-EA2 will mount Sony (and Minolta) A-mount lenses to your NEX-6. But again, no other brands.

There are other adapters that will allow you to mount older Canon, Nikon, and other (Pentax, Minolta, Leica, etc.) manual-focus lenses, and yet other adapters that will allow you to mount auto-focus Canon lenses, although the focus is reportedly a little slow.

As you can tell, some research will be required before you plunk down some cash on any non-E-mount lenses. And you will get many suggestions from people here about their favorite lenses and adapters. Perhaps it would help if you gave us an idea of what you like to shoot, what focal lengths you're seeking, and whether you think you'd be comfortable shooting with manual focus lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    LA-EA3/4 replaced the 1/2 and work for FF and APS-C.

For clarity, the 1 and 3 have no mirror so rely in the cameras normal AF capabilities. They also have no drive motor for AF, so can only be used with SSM/SAM lenses that have a built in focus motor.
    The 2 and 4 have a mirror, so you loose about 1/3 stop of light - but the mirror allows for full Phase AF (effectively making your mirrorless camera into a full DSLR), it also has the AF drive motor so will work with any Sony/Minolta lens. Note it will also use the battery up on your camera much quicker that you are used too!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tslayer66

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks for the quick responses! I can tell I'm going to like this forum!

So currently I only have the standard Sony kit zoom lens and the 55 -210 zoom. I find my self shooting with the 55-210 the most. Usually right at the 55 focal length. Really wanting to get into some Prime lenses but like everyone else I want good quality for the fewest $s. With that said I am headed to Wyoming this weekend and would really love to take advantage for some awesome landscapes. I am ok with manual focus. Any suggestions on the brand of adapters? Who makes a good affordable prime to take advantage of my trip?

Thanks!

6. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I agree with José. Even if the A7 is currently my dream camera, the APS-C systems are excellente. Especially the A6000. I read the other day in a magazine a test about the A6000. They were VERY enthusiastic about it. They said it was probably the best mirrorless right now and that is was so good that it could compete with some FF cameras! WOW!
    I use the NEX-5T, like your NEX 6 they have the same sensor and it goes without saying the same native lenses. I'm new to the photography world and stayed with the kit lens for now. I got my camera 3-4 months ago. I'm eager to get more lenses, but if I can reassure you, you can take a look at my flickr gallery. All my pictures are taken with the kit lens and extension tubes for the macros. I guess it shows that the kit lens is still pretty capable.

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tslayer66

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks Christian and great photos! I'm on flickr also as tslayer66

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121204512@N04/

Most of these were taken with either the kit or 55-210 zoom. Some older with the DSC-9

Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy with my photos so far. Most people cant believe I get these from such a small camera. Just always looking ahead and tinkering. It's in my nature.

Now a follower of you on flickr, keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i really want a sony la-ea4 for my a7r, but every time i look at the price, i get sticker shock.... :-0 you can get an a-mount adapter dumb adapter for next to nothing, if you don't need autofocus.

i have a dozen or so dumb adapters, they work well... if manual everything is o.k., the canon fdn format has the most lens choices for the least amount of money... konica format can be relatively inexpensive... nikon and oly primes tend to be overpriced.

best bang for the crop sensor buck appears to be with some of the sigma art series lenses?? for instance, $200 for the 30mm 2.8, you get autofocus, and it's razor sharp? go full frame later, and sell it if you don't need it... there are tremendous advantages with a crop sensor format camera.

i started collecting full frame lenses years ago, most lenses looked great on my crop sensor camera... it wasn't until i put 'em on the a7r that i saw how flawed they really were... massive field curvature issues with 24mm primes, decentering issues with everything, etc.

you buy full frame glass now, you won't be able to fully evaluate it, and you'll be disappointed when you stick it on that 50mp full frame sensor in 2016.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If your kit lens is the SELP1650, then that and the SEL55210 would be an excellent set of lenses to take to Wyoming, IMO. You've got everything from wide vistas to distant peaks covered, and since I assume you'll be shooting mostly outdoors in bright light, the relatively slow speed of those two lenses won't be much of a problem. Getting new lenses to play with is fun. But one thing I've learned the hard way is this: don't set off on a trip with gear you're not familiar with.

• Like Like x 6
  10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    As far as getting your money's worth, I'd stick with your NEX-6 for at least 18 months as you still need to learn to get the most out of the camera before buying into something that's going to depreciate the minute you hit the "Buy" button (or walk out the store). If your skill is not up to getting a lot out of the camera from the get-go, then that depreciation isn't going to feel worth it. Sometimes I feel that way about my A7 as well. GAS is a bug that will just cause money to pour down a big black hole. The trick is to remember there is always something better round the corner. A7 with amazing AF (A6000 technology) would, I think, tip enough of the scales in favor of moving up from NEX-6.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome from a fellow 6 owner.

Personally I am more than pleased with my 6 and have no desire/need to upgrade. My shooting is not demanding enough to need full frame, but thats a choice you will have to make. The high additional cost is simply not justifiable to me.

Have fun with the camera you have now, and get the most out of it.

The lens bug is a hard one to fight, (just ask my wife). The 19mm/30mm Sigma twins are a great combo. Super low price and sharp images. I had these and loved them, but sold them to get the 20mm SEL to do video shots with.

The 50mm SEL is another great lens, with some nice low light ability.

Then there are all the options made available for older legacy lenses. You can go nuts looking at all the options.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Tslayer, I find myself in a similar situation, I had just the kit 18-55 for my A3000 and immediately wanted to expand. I looked at the 55-210 for a long time and finally pulled the trigger on an open box unit and have been quite pleased since (except for the time last month that I took it to the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space annex and found its 55mm short end far too narrow for the big aircraft on display... but that's a personal problem).

I agree with Jose about experimenting with legacy manual focus lenses. I started with a couple Nikons (from my own old FG-20) and moved on to a few Minoltas as a result of my Mom's X-700 and the encouragement of the various Minolta aficionados on this forum.

My tip of the day would be to seek out a Minolta MC or MD (Rokkor, Rokkor-X or plain MD) 50mm f/1.4 (either on eBay or KEH.com) and give that a try. I have been super pleased so far with the performance of the MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm f/1.4... the color, contrast (at f/2 and above) and sharpness (when focused properly) are excellent. And, as a 50mm, it (a) is readily available (and thus not too expensive) compared to most other focal lengths, (b) would be a good "normal" length on FF whenever you finally go that route, and (c) fits close to your apparently preferred 55mm F.L. from the 55-210.

Enjoy!