• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Look what I found under the Christmas Tree - Leica 5cm 3.5 Elmar

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
Knowing I've been on a vintage lens kick, my Mom was kind enough to pick me up a Leica 5cm f3.5 Elmar. I was quite surprised, and more than thrilled. My very initial impressions are...well...I love it. It's quirky to use (have you seen the aperture ring??), small but with a little heft, and in amazing shape for a 63 year old lens. Certainly not one of the speedy, nifty fifties, but it definitely has a lot of character. Haven't given it much of a test run, but a few pics are below.

The bad boy in question:
Leica 5cm-1.jpg
   ---            

A few test shots of some old cameras I have:
Leica 5cm-2.jpg
   ---            

I love the way the dials rendered here:
Leica 5cm-3.jpg
   ---            

Leica 5cm-4.jpg
   ---            

As excited as I am, it's been a long day and I'm spent. Hopefully the weather will cooperate tomorrow and I can give it a bigger test run.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Wow - your mom must be pretty hip!!

I know almost nothing about Leica lenses - particularly the older stuff - but it already seems like your new-to-you Elmar does some real nice renderings! Congrats! :)

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
Wow - your mom must be pretty hip!!

LOL - hip, and she has a great camera store (EP Levine) a mile from her work.

Certainly not what I normally get for Christmas, but she knows I had a pretty rough year and this makes for a nice distraction from that.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
This looks like a very special lens, love the pics. Hope to see some more when you have the time :) One of my daughters bought me a pack of mono Polaroid film for the old Polaroid cam I inherited in the Summer and I was quite surprised!

RalllyFan

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tom
Couple of quick color shots while passing through Salem, MA today. Love this thing:

salem-1.jpg
   ---            

salem-2.jpg
   ---            

salem-3.jpg
   ---            

salem-4.jpg
   ---            

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
Huh, go figure, them old lenses still take pretty good pictures. ;)

Pressed to death sounds deliberate...

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
well, I'm still waiting for Santa, a pair of socks would be great, now a new lens would be much better, congratulations, it's a great lens..... :)

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Way to put a new lens through its paces! Is it just me or is that thing getting some very nice colors? (All the more impressive, coming from the peak of the B&W era...)

BJW

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Bruce
I had and used one many years ago on a 3F Leica. I think it was a 3F. Might have been a 3G. Anyway it was a really nice lens. Congrats! You need to give your mom a BIG kiss for that.
BJW

Latest threads

Top Bottom