1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Long-term Traveling Kit?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Drewsta1987, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Drewsta1987

Drewsta1987 New to TalkEmount

Sep 11, 2013
    London
    Drew
    Hi guys. I'm heading to Australia in December on a 12 month Working holiday visa, and will be away in total possibly 3+ years.

I'm trying to get a general idea of what basic kit I would need to keep me satisfied without being too bulky.

Obviously I don't want to be taking the kitchen sink. So far my kit is the Nex5r. 18-55mm kit lens (I may leave this at home), Minolta MD 50mm 1.7, Sigma 30mm 2.8 DN. Gorillapod. I was thinking of picking up the Sigma 19mm as well, as I have only heard good things about both of them.

I will be taking my laptop for processing. Was just wondering if anyone has any tips on what I'm overlooking when it comes to being on the road/traveling with a semi decent kit.

Just as a side note: I'm not talking professional kit here. I just want to be able to take some nice photos, mainly of landscapes, cities and people.

Thanks in advance!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    When I go on such a trip, I bring one body, my 12mm, 24mm and 50mm Zeiss lenses (still wait for the 50mm to be released though), some batteries, SD cards and my Sirui T-005X tripod with me. That's all I ever needed, and weighs just a little bit above 2 kg (without the backpack). So in your case, Sigma 19 and 30 and Minolta 50 sounds awesome to cover all basic needs. If your body fails, Australia sure has stores which are happy to sell you a new one. And of course you can buy a tripod when you're there, but it's always handy to have one.

3. Drewsta1987

Drewsta1987 New to TalkEmount

Sep 11, 2013
    London
    Drew
    Thanks man! Spare SD cards is something I had overlooked. I have a spare battery but will probably get another.

Much appreciated.