"Loneliness and Depression"

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NickCyprus, Apr 14, 2015.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I was re-reading Tony's thread "what is the point of photography?" : https://www.talkemount.com/threads/10975/ and thinking a lot about this lately....

I realized two things about me: that photography is for me THE way to express my feelings and I do it in order to capture the moments (good or bad) in my life. I would lie if I said that I don't care for other people opinions (everybody likes a good word now and then) but I mostly do it for me and to satisfy MY needs.

I haven't been shooting a lot for a couple of months and I knew from the beginning that I've hit a wall - the photographer's or artistic block as its called. Deep down I knew it and it really bugged me that I couldn't address it....

The easy excuses for me was mostly to blame it to my limited time (family, 2 kids, work etc) and sometimes to blame it to the lack of gear. And that's what I did of course. The reality thought was different and that I suffered from the "photographer's rut" and that it was directly related with my psychology.

I've been reading a lot about it on the web and how to overcome it. I was taking some random photos of things I don't really like (ie. flowers, https://www.talkemount.com/threads/11346/#post-86780 ) and from the minimal feedback I got I understood that it reflected my photos (mediocre at best). So I decided to shoot what I really like! And what I really like is Long Exposure photography. Lately it has been Daytime Long Exposure Photography using ND filters. I may not be very good at it (still) but hey, that's what I like to photograph and see. And now I think I understand WHY I like it - cause it reflects my psychology. Daytime LE photography (and especially seascapes) give me a melancholic feeling and I think it relates with the feeling of depression I lately have...

So enough with my rant :D

After a lonely 2 hour walk in one of my favorite places here in my city (where I like to walk when I feel this depression), I took some photos and hope you like them as much as I do :)
    -Nick

16942024177_4e0446747c_b. My lonelyness by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

16961896270_b62d053cb3_b. Depression by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
  3. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Nick, these are spectacular! It really does make a difference when you have a connection with what you are shooting. You need to do more of this. Its very good. I could see that first one hanging on my wall any day :)

I hear you with the time constraints of life and going out to shoot and not 'feeling it'. I also have 2 kids, a wife and I am splitting my work time between 2 design studios at the moment. Sometimes within the same day! But I shoot photography for the same reasons you do. For me myself and I. And for the record, I posted a few shots on the mu-43 site the other day that had about 70 views and not a single comment or like. Not that I strive for it or anything but it sure does kind of pinch when your work falls flat, especially amongst other photogs. :( But I knew they weren't great because I just kind of took the shot and didn't really capture anything.

Cheers to getting your mojo back! ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    I like them Nick.
    I've done one or two long exposure shots and its something I want to try more as well.
    There is a photographer that posted several really nice long exposure cityscapes with buildings etc. Because of the long exposure the people were "disappeared". Which has some interesting phycological implications I hadn't thought about until reading your post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow! Both are exceptional Nick. I think you solved the block.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very unique, mood sort of shots there, good stuff !

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Both are terrific, Nick. But that first one is definitely Woof-worthy!

I think I know exactly what you mean when you talk about "taking some random photos of things I don't really like," because that's the same rut I have found myself in for too long now. Here's hoping that having it spelled out the way you did will help us both.

8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are excellent, Nick. I'm glad my thread has been food for thought for people. Photography is a deeply personal activity for many of us. I'm actually sort of glad I went through the period of deep introspection concerning my photography; it allowed me to closely inspect my methods and buying habits. It led to some changes. I sold some gear that provided high IQ, but was heavier and bulkier than I prefer. I sold all of my µ43 lenses, and I'm back to legacy glass for both the NEX and OMD. I find that far more satisfying than fly-by-wire focus. I'm liking photography again.

TT

9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Great stuff!

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you so much David for the kind comments and for sharing your thoughts.
    Its really encouraging to see people with same interests sharing the same thoughts :)

11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks David!
    Never really thought of it like that either, not that you mention it, it makes perfect sense!

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Appreciate the kind comments Gary! Means a lot coming from a photographer whose LE work I admire ;)

Thank you very much Bill ;)

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    David, your "woof" is very much appreciated :D
    Like I said, its encouraging seeing people sharing the same thoughts and to know that you're not alone with your feelings ;)

14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you Chris ;)

Thanks Tony and thank you for creating such a nice thread in the first place that gave some very good thoughts :)

15. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Nick, your work is far from mediocre! In fact those two images are marvelous. More power to you for taking the path you like and not just photographing what you think others may prefer. Salut!

(Edit for spelling)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Glad to see you found your thunder, these shots are great ! As for the mentality/mindset discussion, it reminds me of a poll I saw on petapixl. The poll simply asked "are you an introvert or an extrovert?" maybe not too surprisingly the large majority where for the former. I think this is possibly as you stated why we like photography, its a way for us to express ourselves (or at least myself) when some times we have trouble doing so in words. I am no stranger to depression, I know how tough it can be at times all too well. Hope you are feeling better after you created some truly awesome photos :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing part of your big trip

18. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Inspiring story Nick, thanks! And that first picture, WOW!

19. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Barry, thank you for the kind comments and thank you for your PM too ;)

Thanks Chris!
    And yes, I can say that I'm feeling somehow a little better inside after these photos but mostly after all the nice comments/thoughts I received from all of you :)

Thanks Alex :)

Appreciate the kind words Ad :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  20. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Don't sweat it my friend, you're an excellent photographer. You're miles ahead of me! LOL! We're simply human, and we all hit plateaus, and brick walls at times. We seek out those few things that can genuinely make us feel happy and escape the turmoil of everyday. Life is about suffrage.

You're not alone. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one as well. Like the yellow flower. I recently went through Hell and back. Survived mostly, and was able to accomplish personal milestones and set my spirits right. Some found it inspirational and commendable. While others I least expected, found bitterness and spite and required to rain on my parade to feel better about themselves. Weren't satisfied until I was equally miserable. ???

We hold the key to our happiness and how much unnecessary baggage to carry through life. Find solace in knowing that others have gone through much loss and suffering, depressing situations, and have survived to smile another day. And enjoying life again. I had my life get put into perspective by meeting and sharing with others. I realize the glass isn't half empty, but half full. And there is no need to overfill it or buy that bigger glass. (unless we're referring to a telephoto!)

Just remember, what brings you down, and holds you down, is simply a matter of choosing whether to cast it away and relieve yourself.
    PM me if you'd like to chat offline.

16458889794_0133c770f8_h. nON-cONFORMITY by wNG555, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3