Locking Dials On Sony Cameras

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
Chelsea Northrup stated that she had problems inadvertently changing settings on the A7iii due to the back dials and buttons.

Several responses indicated that a long push on the Fn button would lock the dials and another long push would release the dials.

It doesn't seem to work that way with my A6500 and A6400 cameras.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
That does not work on my A7ii either. Maybe it is just on the current generation full-frame bodies.

But honestly I do not generally have a problem with accidentally changing things. I am in the habit of turning the camera off when not actively using it, and when it is in my hands I am aware of my hand position.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
On the A9 and at least one of the A7s find in the menus Lock Operation Parts. You get options to lock the multi-selector, front dial, rear dial, and control wheel.
Locking the multi-selector aka joystick stops you accidentally moving the AF area. And you can still push it to recall a group of registered settings.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I've done this several times. I look up and somehow I am in a completely different mode.

I believe a few of the latest models have a lock mode, but not mine.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
It's the joystick that's been giving me grief. Easily gets moved when you thumb AF-on.

And what I'd really like to see in firmware 6 is the movie button become assignable. It's the perfect position for me for holding down for a bunch of settings. Until I turned if off in Stills mode I kept taking damn videos and I'm not a vid person.

Thad E Ginathom

New to TalkEmount
That wheel (the dial on the back: the wheel on the top is the dial. Duh...) on my a6000. Every time I reached a thumb across it I'd change stuff. Had a mod in mind, and had done some preliminary work: emery-paper an O ring to about half its thickness, and glue it around the ring to form a fence.

The a6500 is just that little bit firmer and I don't have the problem now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom