Lock-up

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by TOGAR, Jul 15, 2013.

1. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I keep having this forum lock up on me after quite a few viewings of posted files. Not all the time, but enough to be irritating. No other forum website does this to me. Does anyone have similar problems? I like this forum because posters are very up-beat and do not constantly complain and insult other posters like some sites, so I would like to continue having this site as my main info spot.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Never had it happen to me on two different Macs, an iPad, nor an iPhone. What platform and OS are you using?

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Sorry your having issues. I have not had any of these issues.

4. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    iMac; Mountain Lion

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I'm also on a iMac with Mountain Lion and have never had the issue you describe. Tapatalk and the TalkNex app are also stable for me on the iPhone and iPad.

6. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I am happy that this appears to be a localized intermittent problem only for me. My suspicions also relate to living in an underserved, resort area that has huge fluctuations in internet traffic by visitors. I am still very pleased with the positive, upbeat attitude of the posters to this site.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    At least once a day I have to close Safari and reopen it because the forum has frozen after clicking on a link. That usually works, though sometimes I have to do it three or four times. I never have that issue on my iPad, which leads me to believe that it's a OS X Safari issue, more than a forum issue.

While there are several other forums that I frequent that at times seem to hang but then load the page, this is the only one that actually hangs to the point that I have to shut Safari down and start again. I though it was just me. ;)

8. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm... curious.

My default solution to this sort of inexplicable gremlin is to give the Mac the 'ol slap upside the head, and zap the parameter RAM.

In case this is a new one to anyone, you can do this by 1) rebooting, and then, 2) quickly, before the Mac has had the chance to begin its start-up routine, hold down the Command (⌘), Option, P and R keys, and keep holding them down until the Mac has done its boot-up chime at least twice. Then release the keys and let it boot up normally. This clears out the cobwebs that sometimes get built up in the PRAM that controls the very basic functions of the computer.

This only works with a wired or laptop keyboard, BTW, not with a bluetooth keyboard.

It may not solve the problem, but it often does the trick. And you won't hurt anything by doing it, though you may have to reset basic things such as volume, screen brightness, etc.

Other than that, my only guess may be insufficient RAM, but then I would expect that to manifest itself in other forums as well.

As I said, curious. :hmmm:

9. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    No problem for me with either Mozilla Firefox or Opera, running under Windows 7 on two different machines.

From reading other postings, it sounds like it may be an OS problem.

- Tom -

10. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I am still having this problem. I have to quit Safari, restart Safari and carry on. Interesting that virtually no one else has this problem and I do not have the problem with any other website of the dozens that I frequent.

11. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Speaking personally only, the fact that this website is the only one of 24 that I visit regularly to satisfy my hobbies and interests, that "hangs" is getting very, VERY old.

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As Bimjo has speculated, TOGAR (since apparently only you and he have ever encountered this problem), it's not likely to have anything to do with this forum, but rather with your particular version/copy of Safari. There's really nothing that can be done on this end to resolve the situation. I'm running MacOS 10.8.4 and Safari 6.0.5 (8536.30.1), and have never run into any lockups here. Seems to me you have two choices: reinstall/update your OS, or switch to another browser.

13. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I think my point is: this is the only site with which I have a problem. Since almost everyone does not have a similar situation, my only recourse is to continue stopping and restarting Safari, or do not frequent this site. It will not be a life changing decision in either case.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Just out of curiousity (since I have the same issue) what internet service provider are you using? Since I have the same software set up as Dave I'm wondering if it isn't an issue with Charter Cable. I've had issues with them blocking sites, this might be related.

15. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    I live in south eastern BC, Canada and my ISP is Shaw cable. Just by definition the problem only occurs with my setup and only on one website. The logical conclusion seems to be the interaction between software and website. As I said, I am not going to sweat the small stuff.

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Gremlins I guess. [shrug]

17. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    You can download and try a different browser, like Firefox, or Chrome.
    You can also try visit some sister forums (the top right corner icons).
    That way you know whether the problem is browser specific, site specific, or else.

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I may have figured this out. It seems it only happens if I try to click a link before the page has completely loaded. If I let the page load I have no issues, if I click before the page loading is complete it will freeze almost every time. No idea why though.