Living Life Well

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Storm420, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Storm420

Storm420 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Algonquin Provincial Park is the place to be no matter what time of year. Growing up in the Metropolitan area and having city-dweller parents, I'd never experienced the vastness and beauty of the more northern provincial areas. This was my first time...courtesy of my husband.

The pictures below are my first glimpse of Algonquin Provincial Park. A must see for any Canadian living in Ontario...or anyone for that matter. We pulled over from the highway onto the first entrance that had the sign LOOK OUT and this is what I entered upon...

Being a city dweller all my life, I've never experienced the sounds of the forests...not even when camping. I guess I haven't ventured far enough north. Our first night in Algonquin...wolves...all around us in the distance...howling, calling to each other. There were definitely two packs. My husband the hunter had experienced this many times. Me however, never. So I was in complete and utter awe. The howling went back and forth for about 10 minutes the first time and again later in the night for a while longer. I wonder if it was the full moon or just another night for the wolves.

Day 2 and we are off to the "must see" Lookout Trail. A 2 kilometer trek up a mountain with a view of the landscape.

En route to the lookout, there is much to see and learn about the evolution of the earth in this park region. From the "Lookout Trail" guide book, "The ice scoured and bulldozed the landscape and in the process, engulfed and carried off to the south literally millions of tons of sand, gravel and rocks. Occasionally, really big pieces of rock like the one before you were dislodged and carried along." The "pebble" was disgorged from the glacier when it melted back 11,000 years ago.

The view from atop the lookout...

During our drive, we were looking for spots to do some off-roading. Most routes were closed for the winter. We did however manage to find this road. A road that the GPS called a "highway". Maybe this was a highway 70 years ago, when people weren't navigating around in 3/4 ton trucks? Most of the spots were too narrow and rocky for a smaller vehicle to get through or for another to pass us.

Toward the end of the day, we stumbled across a road that led to a lake. We pulled up our camping chairs, made a little fire and ended off the day well.

• Like Like x 16
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Looks beautiful. And wolves! How cool!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Storm420

Storm420 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes...was indeed :)
  4. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I have not been to Algonquin park in decades but used to go often enough when I was younger. More recently, I've driven from GTA to Pembroke by taking the 'back roads' through Bancroft and Denbigh which is also amazing in the Fall.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Gorgeous! We occasionally hear wolves up at our cabin in northern MN, and it is such an eerie call. I love it though! I would love to live up there permanently in the middle of nowhere. But alas, I am stuck in suburbia for while yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't know this area in paticular, but love getting out in nature for a few days.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful scenes and excellent photographs of them...thanks for sharing those !!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    A wonderful series and great narration, thanks for posting these up. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Really great set, Looks like a beautiful area.
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    A really nice series of photos of what looks to be a beautiful place :thumbup:
    Thanks for sharing ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Camped there for many years.
    Now, my wife and I drive up to The Park, on weekend excursions, just because...
    Gotta get her to try camping there!!