live view off when flash fitted

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adwb, Oct 1, 2015.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Is this a setting somewhere ? When I fit my new Nissin flash or air commander to the hot shoe the live view goes off, seems odd as you now cant see if the exposure is right befor a fill flash or am I missing something?

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Can you still see something in the viewfinder ?

Is your eyepiece cup (around the viewfinder) in proper position ?

What is your Finder/Moniror setting ? Auto/Finder/monitor ?

If not,

Welcome to the world of potential incompatibilities with off-brand equipment.

Just my guess but the MIS shoe on your flash seems to make your camera believe you have an auxiliary viewfinder on there and . Any support notes on the Nissin website ?

Any pins bent or distorted on your camera's MIS Shoe ?(or on the flash AND Commander which would be unlikely).

3. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Doesnt happen with my Nissin Di700a. Are you talking about switching 'settings effect off' or switching the LCD off?

4. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    else where I found this ,
    Posted Yesterday, 10:11 PM

I had exactly the same problem and could not find a solution any where.

It seems to be impossible but I have two workarounds.

The first one is to turn off the flash if you want to see what the available light exposure is and then turn it back on when you want to shoot.

This really feels so last century and I cannot believe that they did not think of this.

Here is another option that is a lot better but still feels like last century.

There is a custom button that you can set "Shot Result Preview"

Now you can keep your flash on and just press the button that you have selected

It will then show you the correct exposure that the camera will shoot at when you flash.

Don't know why they did not put that in. Would have made life so much easier.

5. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair