1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Live view/Manual Flash - HELP!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by José De Bardi, Jan 18, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hi,

I'm having trouble getting to grips with using my Nex-5 with my Nikon SB700...

Problem is, you put the camera and flash in manual, and set it so it thinks it's going to underexpose (as it doesn't know the flash is going to fire due to the hotshot adaptor not putting it in 'flash mode') - problem is, the screen is then basically black as it's trying to show you roughly what the image is going to look like without the flash firing.

I know on some Nex cameras you guys have talked about turning 'live view' on/off, which as I understand it changes it to not do this exposure compensated view?
    I can't find this kind of setting on my 5 anywhere?

Anyone have any tips on how to make it so I can see what the hell I am shooting and be able to focus, whilst still having the correct exposure settings I know will work with the flash?

Thanks in advance!

2. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    in NEX-6 it's in the setup menu; not sure about the 5. I struggled with that issue, too, when I got a flash. Turning off live view helps. Not ideal, but better. Also try the BW scene mode with focus peaking. If you shoot RAW you'll still get color. Might be easier to see what you're doing depending on the light, subject, etc.

3. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks for the ideas - no option in the Setup menu on the 5 :(

I'm on the fence about shooting RAW at the moment - I've got a new Mac coming next week so that will free up a load of disk space, so may take that as the prompt to start with RAW all the time. I use it only when doing paid stuff (which is about twice a year!) and do enjoy the flexibility it brings, just not enough for my personal shooting to justify the space it uses.

I was gonna take the plunge on a 6 - but then the A7 came out, so that is a definite for me now, unless the replacement Nex-7 is a sensible step down in price without losing too much functionality etc... We shall see!

Thanks again!

4. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I did a quick search and it looks like that function isn't available on the 5.
    I'm with you on the A7 vs NEX 7 replacement, but will likely stay with the 6. The only reason I think about changing is to get more macro detail, but I do this for fun aside from some shots for my work now and then. I've seen terrific macro with the 6 and currently just have a new lens/adaptor in mind for that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea - I too am interested in better macro performance, my Nex-5 is long behind your 6 even - so will be be a big step up to an A7/New 7... Can't wait!

6. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    It is listed as "Setting Effects" on the setup menu on my 5N. It should be the same for your 5 I think.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have Allacax Nex II flash trigger transmitter on my Nex C3 and it has a button that tells the camera that there is a camera attached. Allacax has got a flash adapter with this kind of function too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1390118276.457968.

Here's its position on NEX-5N.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks! This is exactly what I am looking for! Will order the 'SMOR' hot shoe adaptor now!
    The descriptions on eBay/amazon are really poor 'screen light up/no light up switch'! But saw in reviews and from what you said that actually the switch just tells the camera a flash is on board which in turn effectively makes the screen brighter as it compensates for the flashes light.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I would go that route myself but I got the transmitter before smor got out. As I have 3 receivers I am pretty much stuck with Allacax now (I would have taken Yongnuo rf-602 and YN-560III flash with internal receiver). Fortunately their other 2.4 GHz transmitters are compatible with Nex II.