1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Little things, that make or break a camera...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tipton, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    This is a thread for the little things you want to see going forward in cameras, since we seem to be approaching a technological plateau...

My list is:

1. GPS (of course)
    2. A built-in intervalometer (looking at YOU Sony)
    3. A pop up toy to attract toddlers attention.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Using manual focus a lot, I'd really like being able to toggle peaking on/off with a single button press. Would just be a firmware update.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Would love it if Sony would/could change the f/w update procedure; d/l to a SD memory card and have the camera read that.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    What a great idea. :roflmao:

Me, too. Magnify comes to mind - I want max magnification for manual focussing with one custom button press. There are several functions like that I wish they would fix, and would be pretty simple. Most functions of the camera should be assignable to a custom button/control. I don't need more buttons, just more things to assign the ones I have.

This. Please. I mean as a Windows user it is easier for me than you Mac users, but the whole process is just awkward.

Bring back something akin to the apps. This was a great idea, but the UI was awkard and should have been opened to 3rd party developers. If nothing else, expose more to the remote APIs. A lot could be done from smartphones given enough protocol support, and there are plenty of developers around that can do Android/iOS apps and could easily use web-style APIs. This is opportunity calling, Sony, got a minute?

5. None of these things mentioned in this thread appeal to me. I like manual focus and easy to adjust manual camera function. The more crap on the camera...the less I like it.

One thing I'd like is if the Sony shot silent and the flash was not disabled. For 99.9% of the people it makes sense that you don't want a flash going off if you are shooting silent. But I'm on a different wavelength than 99.9% of them. If you are using invisible IR flash and if your cam shoots silent it is truly the ultimate in stealth for candid work.

nye-piercing-darkness-infrared-flash-2015-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mr1.
    X-E1    ---    50mm    f/1.0    1/250s    ISO 2500

As it stands now I have half of the equation.

What appeals to me in a camera are easy to adjust manual controls, full manual lens, quiet and small footprint, low light capabilities, high IQ and affordability.

Pretty simple list of wants...huh. But the only thing out there like it is Leica and half-ass Fuji.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have that mapped to the C1 button on my A7iii.

7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Yes but as far as I know that is only available on the A7iii/A7Riii (maybe A9?). Even though it should be super simple to add the option to any firmware update.

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    I'd like to be able to see our darn flexible spot (configurable color or at least not grey) in a FW update

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I too have that mapped to a button on the A7R2, the Down button of the control wheel, but it takes me 3 button presses to go from medium to no peaking. I'd like to be able to toggle the peaking on/off by just one button press.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    A more Android-like interface via the touchscreen that makes it easier and more intuitive to change settings & program the camera. (Would be nice to be able to configure a home screen with widgets & as many custom user setting shortcuts as I want. How about multiple users, with the ability to save your profile & transfer via bluetooth. So with a loaner or a rental, I can upload all my settings from a phone or the cloud.)
    Our phones have been this way for 10 years and you know cameras (and cars and can openers) will be like this eventually. So why not sooner?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I'd like Sony to add minimum shutter speed setting adjust on auto ISO on the A72, I can't believe they haven't done that, the A7R2, A6300 and RX100Mk6 all have it, it's a basic firmware update.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sony, being known for its consumer and professional electronics, should flex that prowess in their cameras more with superior programming and options.

A 2nd vote for:
    Missing a built-in intervalometer is inexcusable.
    Paul's mentioning of the customizeable shutter speed range.
    And of course the silly firmware upgrade process.

But Sony is notorious for their firmware updates. They should take Fuji's example on how they improve the feature set of cameras. This is how you gain loyal customers.

I'd prefer a better scheme for the Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Instead of constantly taking an equally long dark exposure, can't they buffer a single shot's data to be used for subsequent shots of the same duration? It doesn't require much memory space. This data should also be included in the ARW files to be used in editors.
    The LENR is so annoying that I resorted to removing the numerous hot pixels manually.

Additionally, the 'Star-Eater' function should not be mandatory. Should be an option.

And for god sakes, include an external battery charger, Sony.

13. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have read somewhere that the reason for multiple LENR frames is that the 'hot' pixels can change over time as the sensor reacts to the heat.

And how could we have forgotten the star eater. There has been so much written about this, Sony cannot be unaware of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Something really minor that Sony could correct with a firmware update: I can't have both an on screen level and a histogram at the same time. Why? Who knows.

15. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    That would be a really good weathersealing and a cup big enough to fit the camera :D 

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I think Sony should move mount release to the other side of the camera. Either that or just make future cameras a bit wider like the Nikon Z6/Z7! :D 

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 11, 2014
    I'm surprised no one mentions about focus assist led's poor placement. I turned mind off due to its uselessness (mostly).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    That's one area where the a6500 beats the a7 hands down. The grip on the smaller camera is actually more comfortable in my big hands. But I'm so used to cramped fingers now I barely notice it. All it would take to fix is some finger grooves on the grip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.