Little apples

Discussion in 'Nature' started by davect01, May 20, 2013.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Tree is growing little apples. About half sized the normal apple. F3 and 30mm Sigma

DSC03801.JPG

DSC03803.JPG

2. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Lovely apples! ! Like the first one most! Seems a bit early for them, though?

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not being a botanist, I really have no idea. I was under the impression though that Apples were a late summer treat.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Getting color already. Apples are a late summer/early fall deal around here. Some years late fall. The warmer weather may make them an earlier harvest in Arizona than here though. [shrug]

5. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Well, I always thought apples were fall fruits, but I guess it all depends on the sun. Im used to more moderate / colder European weather. Doest really matter, as long as they taste great and the pics look fabulous!

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Apples are fall fruits. They don't even produce fruits if they don't get their share of cold (that is, they need winter, spring for flowers and summer to grow the apples). My apple trees don't even flower yet (probably, I will see them in a week).

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This tree has never produced fruit before in the nine years we have lived here.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It may be a seedling. Apple (and several other fruit trees) take about a decade to fruit if they a grown from seeds. Fruits are usually not very good but occasionally a seedling produces good fruits (and acid or bitter apples can be used to spice cider). Apples are mature when seeds turn brown from white.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Good to know. That may be what is going on here cause these little guys are bitter.

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Now you have got a genuine cider apple tree. You need sweet apples and sour apples and can start your own cider production!