List of A-mounts and their performance on Nex / Alpha APS-C

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Couldn't find a similar thread, so if that's already been started, please point me there.

It would be nice to have a list of A-mount lenses, good or bad, and the opinion on their performance and overall usability on Sony APS-C mirrorless. Lens showcase threads are too many & not always informative on other aspects.

Here't the list of the lenses I tried / my opinion. All Minoltas are Maxxums, A-mounts.

Minolta 35-70/4 Macro. One of my favorites. Very small and light, very sharp, nice colors, fast AF on LA-EA4. As with every A-mount I tried so far, the AF gets slower in dim light and it hunts but not bad. The negatives are a so-so bokeh and a rather long MFD. There's plenty of them for $40 or so delivered on KEH.com.

Minolta 70-210/4 Macro "The Beercan". Another favorite. Beautiful bokeh and colors, fast accurate AF. Heavy and large. I am used to handholding it without much motion blur, but the size and weight make it less than ideal travel companion. Great for portraits and a walk in the zoo, not so much for backpacking. Paid $100 delivered from KEH, sometimes see them for less.

Minolta 50/1.7. Very sharp stopped down a little, very portable, great bokeh and colors, AF is not the fastest, especially in dim light. Wide open a bit "glowy" but I think it's more microcontrast than lack of sharpness. Stopped down just a bit, razor sharp. Easily holds it's own - perhaps even outperforms - SEL50 between f2.8 - f4. But overall, SEL50 is a better lens because of OSS and great performance wide open. Bought mine for $20, but usually see them for $50-70.

Sigma 12-24 HSM (the original version). Great range, very decent performance especially stopped down, fast focusing (kind of strange seeing a HSM motor in an UWA). But, relatively heavy and large, definitely a DSLR sized lens. I got mine as a gift. I put it on CL and if I sell it will likely get Rokinon 12/2, just because it's small. This is the kind of lens I'd want to take on a trip, and size matters (doesn't matter as much with Beercan because I almost never had any use for a long tele in all of my travels).

Tokina 16-70/2.8 AT-X. Mine was a POS if I ever saw one; soft at all focal lengths, stopping down didn't help much. Beautifully built, though. I wouldn't advice it on anybody.

• Like Like x 3
  2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    May I ask what is the af performance on the lens ty have listed. Fast enough for street photography?

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks for the thread and info. I have a Minolta maxxum 200mm 2.8 on the way and can't wait to try it!

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    They focus fast in good light, tend to hunt somewhat in bad light. The "fast" focusing is typically really fast, but that depends on a particular lens. LA-EA2 is basically a focusing unit from A57 (I think) so it's the same speed.

• Like Like x 1