1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LIMS -LE-HCA6000 Half Case for Sony A6000

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dragion, Aug 9, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Searched for a little protection for the A6000 and came across this half case...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMS-LE-HCA6...item3ce52799b3

Cost was $57.95 with free Economy shipping.

Was considering the Gariz half case, but it's so expensive!
    This seemed to be a good alternative...at almost half the price.

I wanted this for my trip to Walt Disney World for a little bit of protection while being exposed to the park's obstacles... other people!
    You'll never know who or what it might get in contact with while being strapped to your side.

I feel with the extra .25" on the bottom, it will provide a better grip...now I'll have room for my little pinky

Since it ships from Korea, their regular "free shipping" I wouldn't have received it in time.
    I asked them about their expedited shipping and they wanted $25 additional for the service.

WHAT!?! :wtf:

I responded back and told them that I wasn't paying almost half the cost of the item for additional shipping!
    They said they couldn't do anything about the shipping cost.

I made them an offer...which they "could" have refused.
    I asked if they would except an offer of $70 shipped via EMS and confirm that I would receive it before August 15, 2014

They agreed.

Received the LIMS half case today.

Came in general brown cardboard box.
    Shipped from Seoul, Korea.

Inside, the actual product's box was completely wrapped in bubble wrap and securely taped sealed.
    The half case packaging is ok...nothing to write home about.
    Made of thin black cardboard with manufacture's logo on top lid, smaller logos on left & right sides...back contains label with specs & items barcode.
    Bottom right hand corner is label indication what color and which model it is for...this case the Sony A6000 in Black.

Opening the exterior packaging, inside was the half case contained in a beige drawstring pouch with logo.
    The pouch is very thin and doesn't really provide any kind of protection...maybe from mild scratches.

First impressions are very good.

As described, it is genuine natural leather with white border stitching and a sort of cross weave pattern...very nice looking.
    The inside of the case is embossed with the logo design and is made of some soft felt, so no worries about scratching the camera.

The base is made of 6061 Aluminum with a flat grey finish.
    There is an opening for the battery & SD card for easy access.
    The bottom has been machined out for probably weight reduction.
    In the center is the a screw that fits into the tripod mount on the camera...this is how the case is attached.
    Using either a coin or flat head screwdriver.
    Right above the screw is a threaded tripod mount to attach either a tripod plate or for me my Carry Speed sling strap ball-head.

Fit and finish is very good, but not perfect.
    There is a bit of gap where it wraps around the grip...maybe with extended use it will mold into shape.

The feel of the case does provide a overall better grip, but it's going to take a bit of time for me to get used to it.
    Due to the leather, I'm uncertain how much "grip" it will provide if your hand gets moist from sweat or rain/snow.
    This I will have to see.

Here is a few pics of the half case...

14882535293_9ffcdfa860_h.
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

14675973740_2ebb49442b_h.
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

14676128427_8492502466_h.
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

14860196114_74d9172047_h.
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

14676127247_9583b32b84_h.
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

14675971230_a281bbe391_h.
    by dragioniii, on Flickr

These shots were taken with my Sony Xperia Z1S...

14883047113_510d582ea9_h.
    LIMS half case by dragioniii, on Flickr

14863162495_9c94f8243e_h.

14860101791_acd3b4f6ac_h.

14863164265_e33ae7f82c_h.

14840192026_857afc2832_h.

Please comment...thoughts/advice/feedback? :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very good / thorough report.
    Appears they copied much of the Gariz approach, even including all the fancy packing items.
    ( which in my personal opinion...is an unnecessary waste of money to simply get thrown into the trash can, LOL )

If the quality is there, it's going to give Gariz some serious competition, as the Gariz price is obscene.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I agree - thanks for the nice review William ;)

I was never a fan of how half cases look but do like the fact that they add some bulk (and better grip). This one looks like a quality item too. I had this company's flash bouncer when I had my first 1st gen Nex-5 (nice as an idea but bad quality/execution after some months of use)

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    William,

I ordered an a6000 and I'm looking for a half case. I had a Gariz on my 5t, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money if there are alternatives. Now that you have had this case for a while, are you still happy with it and do you recommend it?

5. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Gary~
    Congrats on purchasing your A6000!
    Since buying the Lim's half case, I have not removed it from my camera...this shows you that I'm quite happy with it.
    I definitely recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Congrats on your purchase, enjoy.

However, I as well dislike the half case concept. Just looks incomplete. I wish there was a complete wrap option.