1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Likely significant site changes coming

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Many of you know that I have other forums, the most active of which is Mu-43.com.

I'm thinking about opening up Mu-43.com to be more of an all-inclusive camera forum like Cameraderie.org is right now. Cameraderie.org would be merged into Mu-43.com.

My overall reasons for wanting to do that are explained here: Opening up the site to all cameras

There would still be some question about what to do with TalkEmount. Although the community here is wonderful and the E-mount system is thriving, the overall activity level here is mirroring camera forums everywhere - it is on the decline.

I think we are likely to reach a point sooner than later where members check in here, don't see enough to hold their interest, and gradually stop checking in.

I'm leaning towards also merging TalkEmount into the new site if the new site happens. Again, all of the reasons for that are here: Opening up the site to all cameras

Another possibility would be for me to sell TalkEmount. I've been approached more than once by people interested to buy it. If the members here strongly prefer to remain independent, that would give me more reason to consider finding the site a new owner. I would do my best to find you a good one, but once the site was out of my hands, I really couldn't control what they did. For all I know, they could merge it into some other site.

Answers to FAQ (will update this as the discussion continues):

-All of the content would be retained. Nearly all of our subforums would be kept. The gear ones would be moved under a Sony E-Mount heading. New headings and subforums would be added for other popular systems (MFT, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Leica)

-The site name would have to change from Mu-43 to something else. I don't know what it would change to and would be open to suggestions on that front.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  2. pellicle

pellicle TalkEmount Regular

Hi

either is amenable to me ... I would lean towards whatever is better for you, so if you make money by selling talkemount then I feel you should do that, particularly if you make the above mentioned changes to the currently named as mu-43 site

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Merging the sites makes sense to me. I am still a member of both the mu-43 and the Leica sites, but since I do not shoot those systems anymore, I do not regularly check in on them. But, I remain curious and would love to know what is going on in those communities still. "One site to rule them all" - - oh wait, maybe that's not the best way of thinking about it....One convenient, civil camera site sounds good to me.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    My preference is to keep talkemount and do the merge. I've never done this for the money. Now if Amazon came and offered me millions, that would be a different story!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    A merge would be good, we still have the Sony E mount sub -forum, but get to see images from all systems etc and also share general none brand specific questions about photography in general.

6. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    First, let me say that I really enjoy this site a lot. I'm not much of a photographer but I do enjoy sharing my pictures without the 'critical eye' being used to look at them. Maybe I'm wrong in that aspect of sharing. I don't do flicker or any of those other photo sites for a number of reasons. I would miss this place if it changed significantly, but, I'd survive. I just wouldn't get to share as much or as freely as I do here. Do what is right for Family Sabet as that should be your number one priority Amin.
    Maybe I need to look at Cameraderie.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’m all for whatever makes this forum less onerous & costly for you, Amin. Though I dip my toes in at DPReview almost every day, I almost never post anything there because of the constant vitriol. So keeping this a friendly place to visit and exchange photos, ideas, and information is paramount. And if merging TalkEmount with other forums is the best way keep this place going, I’m in.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. pellicle

pellicle TalkEmount Regular

I don't know why, lots of people sharing images over at mu43 site. Seems friendly to me

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Merging TalkEmount.com and Mu-43.com with Cameraderie seems a logical step to me. I already post pictures here and at Cameraderie just because of the different audience of the latter. I think that the brand-oriented gear subforums are OK to cater for the need of equipment-oriented posts. I just hope that enough TalkEmount members will move with whatever change will be made, I'd love to keep in touch with the crowd of which I've become part here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Do what you have to do but I like a forum that is just for a particular system. I really don't want to sift through pages about other systems

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I saw that there is an "Ignore new posts" settings in the profile page, that'll help to suppress e.g. gear-related posts you're not interested in. I just set it so that new posts in all gear talk subforums except Sony will be ignored, going to see how that works out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    A lot of members at Mu-43 share this sentiment. I'll do my best to come up with a site that lets you ignore certain sections via settings preferences.

Thanks, all.

• Like Like x 4
  14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I used to be a regular on BikeForums.Net. It's set up was very successful with numerous subforums by bike category and endeavors. Some subforums were friendlier than others, based upon the type of cyclist attracted. But the site is well-configured and we subscribed to whatever we liked. An all-encompassing Camera forum site would make sense. One account, with access to all forums via subscriptions. Since some of us have more than one camera type and brand. And preference for lenses and photography category. It may simplify the subforums and their repetitive categories. Variety is the spice of life. ;) 

15. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I agree that you have to do whatever makes sense for you, Amin.

I do enjoy the site being about one system, partly because I like seeing what is possible with the brand I have chosen, and it keeps the GAS at bay because someone else takes great images with equivalent gear to what I already have. And that if I stick with it, some day maybe I will be able to capture images as well as some here. (Big maybe.) So merging something like "landscape" into one giant cross-system pool is less attractive - to me - where I am with photography. It would help if people would at least post what body/lens they used, and let me optionally filter to find Sony-backed images if I would like to. Or maybe instead of keeping say the "Sony" forum about gear only it would also be OK to make image-oriented posts there that were taken with a Sony body or in threads dedicated to Sony bodies (some of the other popular sites are similar to that, e.g. FM). In any case, if it continues to be a friendly group free of gear bashing, I would likely continue to hang around.

Challenging times to be running a site. Go with what you think is best.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. quezra

quezra TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 22, 2012
    I have to confess I don't come here very often anymore, and to be honest life has been pretty busy so even photography has taken a back seat in general - so I don't have much to say or contribute.

The only thing I would fear with a multi-system site would be the inevitable brand wars. The reason I quit DPR forums was to get away from that. Oh well, I suppose I am no longer very vested in any of this anymore so it is really not going to bother me much one way or another!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I think a sub-forum needs to have several categories in it too, i.e, lenses, camera bodies, accessories etc so we can navigate more easily.
    One of the popular UK forums (Talk Photography) has just a single sub forum folder that all Sony E mount discussions are posted and it just becomes impossible to keep track of threads you are interested in.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Nearly all of our current subforums here would be kept on the new site. Organized similarly, just under a TalkEmount section instead of a separate site.

Certainly that would be the case. And our software would let you exclude non-Sony gear forums from Recent Posts.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    If we import all the TalkEmount and Cameraderie forums into Mu-43.com, does Mu-43 have to change it's name? Is Mu-43 synonymous with Micro Four Thirds, or can it be the name of a site that doesn't prioritize one system over another?

20. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Just my 2p worth, but how about a "Mirrorless" forum?
    This way we could welcome users of mirrorless cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji etc etc etc

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.