Review LIKE DISLIKE ABOUT A6xxx Cameras in General - Specifics about A6400 and A6500

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have been using the A6500 for about a year and the A6400 for a few months. I will mostly use these two cameras in tandem with two different focal length lenses but, will often use a modern lens on one camera and a legacy lens on the other during a portrait shoot. That way I have the marriage of modern lens quality and auto focus combined with legacy lens rendition.
LIKE ABOUT A6xxx CAMERAS IN GENERAL
Small form factor - I can easily carry two of these small cameras
All e-mount lenses can be used with equal effectiveness (not like Canon with EF and EFS lenses)
Function button – you can see and change shooting parameters on LCD or through EVF
Can shoot with never taking eye from EVF - also reviewing using eye level viewfinder is great
Face Detect / Eye-AF can be used when viewing with LCD or with EVF
LCD/EVF viewing automatically changes when camera is brought up to viewing eye
Can view expected result of shot before shooting
On/Off button handy with shooting finger near shutter button
Generally everything about the auto focus
Ability to reassign buttons to specific functions
Ability to mount almost any type of lens with adapters
Kipon Focal Reducer works well with M-42 mount lenses
Viltrox EF-Eii Focal Reducer works well wth Canon glass
Despite many complaints about the A6400 using the same battery as the other A6xxx cameras, I like using the same batteries for both of my cameras
Focus peaking and focus assist using manual focus
Reasonably high ISO capability
Prices are quite decent
DISLIKE ABOUT A6xxx CAMERAS IN GENERAL
Small form factor high quality telephoto zoom lens not available - the 55-210mm is not all that great and the 70-200mm f/4 G, while smaller than the G-Master f/2.8, is really quite big for the A6xxx bodies.
Maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second is often not fast enough when shooting with a wide aperture lens such as f/1.4 or even f/1.8 wide open. A shutter speed of 1/8000 second would be better
Buttons are quite close together sometimes I hit the wrong button accidentally
I have not been as successful as I hoped I would be in using Canon lenses with either the MC-11 or Metabones IV adapters
LIKE/DISLIKE ABOUT A6500 SPECIFICALLY
Dislike - the small door for replacing battery and SD card
Like – Eye-AF but, would prefer continuous Eye-AF like with A6400
Like - Ability to assign button to Eye AF is a plus - assigning the lens focus hold button for Eye-AF is great
LIKE/DISLIKE ABOUT A6400 SPECIFICALLY
Like – the larger door for replacing battery and SD card
Like – continuous Eye-AF
Like- LOVE – animal Eye-AF (with mid-2019 firmware update)
Like - assigning the lens focus hold button for AF-on
Neutral - I don't do video so I don't really miss IBIS

Last edited:

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
I dislike the rather hard eyecup supplied with my a6500. when I do prolonged shoots where i'm using the evf it gets rather uncomfortable.
I dislike the battery capacity the most. I said it on here once before (hell maybe I have time now) but someone needs to make a a6xxxx battery grip using the new zed batteries and i'd be in heaven.

Darn. I hadn't realized until just now that my a6500 didn't have continuous Eye-af

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I almost did not purchase the A6400 because of lack of IBIS. I then realized that I had been shooting all my life using cameras without IBIS and the A6500 is the only camera that I ever have used with that capability.
I am glad that I did not hang on waiting for an IBIS capable replacement for the A6500 before I purchased my second APSC camera, I love the A6400 size and most of all price...

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
I just sold my A6000 and A6300. I may pull the trigger on an A6400 - but I'd like to see what Sony has planned. There's another release coming this week - which may be a new RX camera - and more in August.

I have a nice collection of APS-C lenses for Sony E-mount. But I could sell them off (along with some micro four-thirds gear) if the next RX camera is an even better option for shooting wildlife than the RX10 IV. Of course, I'd still have my A7 III kit.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
From what I heard, the A6700 or A7000, or whatever the heck Sony will call the A6500 replacement, will have more of the A7iii style body. Since I shoot with two cameras, it is easiest for me to shoot with either identical cameras or cameras as near to each other as possible.
That is not to say that I won't get the hots for the new camera and sell both my A6500 and A6400 to purchase two of the new cameras:rolleyes: Hope my wife doesn't read this:D

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I won't touch another A6xxx camera until they switch to the NP-FZ100 battery. The A6500 was such a battery hog, I'd rather shoot with an Olympus E-M5II or Pen-F and get way better battery life for that class of camera.

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
If I did a considerable amount of video shooting, I think that I would feel the same way about batteries. However, I always carry several batteries (I use an external charger - don't charge them in the camera) so I always have a fresh battery to use when the need arises.
When I do a portrait session, I will add my battery grip to the A6400 which extends the life almost twofold. The battery grip has another plus - the extra shutter release button for vertical shooting,
Downside of the grip is that I need to use an external wire from the grip to the camera to be able to utilize the vertical shutter release button. However, for someone shooting video, the extra wire is not needed and the grip will extend your shooting time almost 2x...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom