Like a sheep led to the slaughter - Anxiety caught on me

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NickCyprus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    On Saturday I will be attempting my first wedding as a second (actually third) shooter and since this is my first time, I have so much anxiety!

A good friend of mine who is a pro wedding photographer is giving me the opportunity to attend and shoot and if he likes the results, he'll hire me to assist. He've seen my work and I feel he has confidence in me. He's been very supportive at the 2 meetings we had before the wedding to arrange the details/timetable etc.

1st reason of anxiety:
    Gear wise, I'll have to pair my A7 with my only native AF lenses, the 28-70 and 70-200, cause unfortunately my big collection of mf Minolta lenses won't work here :( The only lenses I might end up using is the 35-70 macro for some close up shots of the rings/shoes etc and I might take the 50 1.4 although I don't think I'll use it. So the first reason of my anxiety is due to lack of gear. I also don't have a flash yet.

I'll also take all of my 5 batteries and my wifes nex-6 which I think it'll be enough...

• Like Like x 3
  2. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    2nd reason of my anxiety:
    Lack of experience.
    I honestly don't know what I'll face. The conditions (light, ceremony sequence, hall, church etc) are totally unknown to me and I'm afraid that when the action happens I'll freeze by not knowing what to do and catch the action...
    I believe I have the technical knowledge and skills to pull it off but lack experience.

Which brings me to my 3rd reason:
    Camera settings and A7's performance for weddings...
    Due to this being so fast and not having the time to constantly mess with the settings of the camera and try different things, I think I've settled that I'll use M mode with maybe Auto ISO (100-6400), shutter not below 1/125, adjust aperture accordinly, auto WB, maybe multi metering mode, continuous shooting, AF-S with flexible spot L focus area - the latter being something I have't used on field before... Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I wish you the best Nick. The a7 would be good for day time shoot.
    If you have to shoot at night or low light condition with the a7, try continuous AF and wide focus mode and even with face detection ON.
    Though, you still need a flash. Any flash, even a Youngnuo 560 III/IV would do the job but in manual mode.
    I've once used the a7 paired with FE 55ZA + HVL-60M at a wedding night reception at a Chinese restaurant and wasn't too happy about it.
    a7m2 came out later was a big improvement for such condition.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't give you a lot of advice because I've only done something like that once (shooting a 25-year wedding anniversary of my sister-in-law's parents) and that was almost 30 years ago. A Minolta 5600 does the job for me on the rare occasions I use flash, you can bump up the ISO to 400 or even 800 and have more than enough light for bouncing at apertures around f/5.6 or f/8.

Anyway, best of luck with the adventure!

• Like Like x 1
  5. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Good luck Nick - remember, no one there knows it's your first time - don't throw up on anyone's shoes and you be just fine. :) Actually, I'd say the 28-70 with it's great center sharpness is not a bad lens for the job..?

My better half has a nephew getting married this fall and they asked me to shoot it (I know they're trying to keep costs down). I declined because I'd be the only one shooting and don't want that responsibility. I'm kinda thinking about offering to shoot some before/after shots though. Those could be re-staged if needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks!
    Regarding low light and AF-C with Wide focus, I thought about it (since its what I usually use) but the pro photographer is kinda "obsessed" with eye sharpness and I'm afraid it might miss eye focus with that setting... AF-S with flexible will be tougher to operate though since we dont have a focus point joystick etc as per DSLR but it might be more accurate? I've slightly changed my quick buttons for this event and moved the focus settings/area to the AEL button thus making it easier to move around the flrxible L focus spot (still a 2 touch operation though :( )

I even thought of trying eye af but again I'm not sure since I dont have practical experience with it...

Unfortunately, I'll have to do without any flash for now (dont have time to order and learn one since the wedding is in 2 days) but it's definitely on my buy list for the next one ;)

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Your work speaks for itself. You're going to do fine. I'd still practice before the big day, and figure out what combos work best, then program them into the Memory Recall modes.

I'd take along the MD-X 50mm f1.4 just in case. The speed will be handy, as well as its nice bokeh rendering for still shots and occasional portraits. On the NEX-6, it'll give you 75mm. I would personally take the MD Tele-Rokkor 135mm ƒ/3.5 too. Another sharp prime. Your familiarity with your manual lenses will be your strength, you'll know their limitations and when to use them.
    I'd bring your external charger along. 5 batts sound like it'll be enough, but having the first dead one charging assures you of an extra backup.
    Do you know anyone with an extra flash?

8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thank you!
    The pro photographer has his own flashes but those are canon...
    No flash from others I know that I could borrow :(
    Good idea on the charger ;)
    As far as mf lenses, the 135mm is a lrns I rarely use to be honest after I got the 70-200 G but the MD 50mm will definitely take with me just in case ;)
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement:)

9. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    1. You need a flash.

2. Visit the venue beforehand to test the exposure settings you will need. At the same time as the event will take place.

3. Your 28-70 is fine, lots of pros use only a standard zoom. Anticipating what will happen, when it will happen, is much more important than gear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I know the anxiety. The only two times I have attempted professional shots was a bit nerve wracking.

1- Is event photography something you want to pursue?

2- Did the photographer give you an assignment, or are you free range? My sister-in-law, (the professional I helped), asked me to focus on the crowd and stuff away from the main couple. Of course, she said if you see anything I am missing with the couple, shoot away.

3- Especially if any environment is dim, the lack of a flash might be an issue, keep the 50mm 1.4 handy.

4- Don't experiment, keep it simple. No reason to get a bad picture because you were "trying something."

5- Breath, relax and enjoy the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Looks like I'm failing then :D Missing #1 and #2 :D

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Dave!
    1. If I like it and can handle it and it gives me an extra income while doing my hobby, why not? :)

2. Good point. He gave me just two assignments: to shoot the couple when entering and exiting the church and other than that, he told me I could shoot whatever I like for this first time. He also told me to cover the photos of the guests if I can.

3. Definitely

4. Good suggestion ;)

5. Thanks :)

13. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Shoot shoot and shoot again. Don't stop. Experiment and try again.
    I've always seen wedding photographer shooting a lot. I guess, only a fraction of the photos are be good enough.
    Hence, an empty 16/32gb card is a must.
    Good luck.
    BTW I might come to Nicosia for business in the next couple of months.
    Don't remember where you are but if it's confirmed and you live close, I'll be more than happy to meet you !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Woohoo!!! Great news. I live in Limassol but its only an hour from Nicosia. We shall definately meet and if you have time, go shoot some photos with my good friend @Alex_Apo@Alex_Apo ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have zero experience with weddings, so no advice. But best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Nick, you'll do fine based on what I've seen of your work.
    I drove half way across the country to be at a friend's wedding last month.
    I'd only had my A7ii for two weeks before going.
    NONE of my shots were what I'd call half way good.
    Luckily, I wasn't the photog for the wedding.
    Relax, there are others taking shots too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Sure ! Will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You will be fine. I shot a whole wedding with the Zeiss 24 1.8 and the Sony 50 1.8 on my nex camera without a flash.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    These were 16mp and a crop. It's all about the photographer. I'm not saying they are perfect, but you can build a house with a 50 year old hammer or a brand new one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1469742579.351555.
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1469742589.713934.

• Like Like x 4