Lightroom .....

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
It seems that having closed my computer down last night, LR helpfully updated my desktop version to the latest one which my Mac is not able to use. Last time this happened I was able to re install a version two upgrades below but now this isn't possible, leaving me with LR6 which will not be able to recognise my cameras. I will not now be able to process anything for the time being until I decide what to do. I can either upgrade my Mac which will cost the best part of £2000 or try Capture one which I don't really want to do.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
Wow, that sucks. Longshot, but maybe call Adobe support? As a workaround you could use Adobe DNG Converter to enable LR6 to process unsupported raws. I wouldn't throw away the original raws after conversion...
I had an online chat with them but was quoted the company line, that they had informed users that this was happening and anything else is used as "unlicensed" Adobe versions. She said she could pass me over to the cancellation dept as I said I was now paying a monthly fee for something that's unusable. I know Capture one is supposed to be good but I've been using LR since v 3 and have had to teach myself everything. Also, my colour profile presets won't work with C1. I don't think I'm savvy enough to use the DNG converter although I note that I've downloaded it once before!

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I agree with Ad. That sucks. As does Adobe.

But I think you may soon have other good reasons to upgrade your Mac (64-bit support, compatibility with the upcoming Catalina OS). Just tell Little B it’s going to be generic dog food for a while.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
This is almost as bad as my computer having to be restarted each time it falls asleep now since putting in our new floors. At least when it's awake I can still process photos.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
This is almost as bad as my computer having to be restarted each time it falls asleep now since putting in our new floors. At least when it's awake I can still process photos.
I guess that old HP hates the new floors! :D
But seriously, that shouldn't be happening. My recommendation is to take it outside, fire up your air compressor (I'm assuming you have one, given that you're a gearhead.) and blow out the dust from it. Then carefully unplug and replug everything. Especially reseating the RAM. Boot the computer and once in Windows, run a disk check to look for errors and correct them. If the computer still doesn't come out of SLEEP properly, then try disabling SLEEP and choosing HIBERNATE instead. It will at least save your open work when it goes into power saving mode. Coming out of it should return you back to where you left off.
Also check your BIOS. Be sure that the option of USB legacy support is enabled. Otherwise, moving the USB mouse or tapping a key on the USB keyboard won't exit SLEEP mode.

NOTE: I did notice that photo of its interior that you posted...I found it odd it only had one stick of RAM. Most modern computers require a pair due to dual channel architecture. If it's able to run on an odd number, it's severely hobbled performance-wise.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I've downloaded the free C1 trial, I just can't get along with it. I'm also trying the ASE X4 trial which is much more like Lightroom in layout and I already use a smaller version as a plug in anyway. LR6 seems to be opening my A7RIII files but I don't have all my presets in it so it's a bit of a compromise. Will just have to limp along until I can decide what to do next!

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
If you want the C1 layout to be more LR-like, try menu option Window > Workspace > Migration.

There are lots of tutorials/videos for people coming from LR. PhaseOne has a whole youtube channel; here is one of their webinars on migrating from LR.

I find a lot to like about C1 once you get over the learning curve. But if it just does not work for you, there are certainly alternatives these days.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom