1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lightroom, you suck! (Rant)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Tipton, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    So I just spent about an hour in Imaging Edge (Sony's raw processor) working on about a hundred images I took in the last week. For a lot of the images, I set them to an appropriate preset (BW, Sunset, Vivid etc) did some tone correction and saved the raw file back to disk.

Then I made the mistake of importing them into Lightroom, and watched in horror as Lightroom set them all to Adobe Color.

I know Lightroom does this all the time, but I'd thought that using Imaging Edge would save my selections. Another issue is, Lightroom doesn't have all the Sony presets - no Sunset, no Autumn Leaves.

So now I have to re-edit all those files, and probably won't be able to get some of them back to the way I liked them.

Lightroom, you suck.

2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    So the original files you changed in IE were deleted from the disk when you imported them into LR?

3. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Yes, that's my fault. I used an autoimport folder. Because Lightroom stopped importing otherwise.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    LR edits are non-destructive. Like most editors I am aware of, it does not actually modify the original files/data, it only saves the adjustments in the catalog. It may optionally also use sidecar files (imagename.xmp I think), and some editors do something similar, or the edits are possibly stored in the metadata in the RAWs.

I do not know about Imaging Edge as I've not used that in a long time. So I do not know where it stores the changes, or if it embeds them somewhere in the RAWs. If it uses sidecars, they may still be in the original location. Chances are the RAW files are in the same state as they were before you imported them. So maybe you could move the RAWs back to where they were and find your edits are intact, as before importing to Lightroom.

I'd probably backup everything before trying to recover, just in case.

Incidentally, most edits are non-transferable between programs. The editing is proprietary to each piece of software, but they will sometimes try to read other editor's saved adjustments. e.g. Capture One does this for Lightroom catalogs, I think ON1 does too, maybe some others. I would guess Lightroom itself doesn't read anyone else, but I could be wrong about that.

5. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Did lightroom actually make changes t the file?? I would assume your adjustments are still in there - but coded to some proprietary bit of the ARW file (instead of in a sidecar file, which what lightroom does for non-DNG RAW formats by default). So just open them in Edge, export to TIFF and adjust further in lightroom or something...

6. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Thanks guys, you gave me an idea...but now to make a backup before I do anything.

7. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Ok it worked, I saved the files. For the record, if you're working with Sony raw in Imaging Edge, you have to export as TIF before you import into Lightroom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Lightroom all is forgiven :D :p 

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Adding to this: Imaging Edge modifies the raw files directly, so the edits will have been preserved in the raw files. Later editing in Lightroom won't change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Not quite. I still have to figure out what changed about importing since the last update. :rolleyes-20:

11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    It seemed crazy to me they would actually apply destructive edits to RAWs, and even found a "hint" on a Sony web page that said edits were non-destructive. So I decided to try I with a copy of a random RAW file. I made some oddball adjustments, enough to ensure there would be no confusion between edited and unedited.

It's true that after editing, it does write to the RAW (though to be fair you could alternatively save the edited image to a separate RAW file). However, it is possible to get the unedited version back. There is a non-obvious "version stack" panel in the lower right of the edit window. The version appears to update with each save, and the SOOC unedited image is one of the versions. You can also set any version as the "current" version including the original unedited one. It seems to save whatever image is current as the embedded JPEG preview, as this is what is seen in Windows Explorer. I am going to guess they are saving the edit list in a custom metadata extension (perhaps in maker notes). Regardless of version - the original file, edited file, edited but rolled back file - in Capture One they all looked the same, so I think the file segments that have the original RAW data are actually still present unaltered. I am not interested enough to tear the file apart and do binary comparisons to verify, but that is my conclusion.

In any case, while Imaging Edge is much improved, I have no plans to abandon Capture One in favor of it. :shakehead:

• Informative Informative x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.