Lightroom, you suck! (Rant)

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
So I just spent about an hour in Imaging Edge (Sony's raw processor) working on about a hundred images I took in the last week. For a lot of the images, I set them to an appropriate preset (BW, Sunset, Vivid etc) did some tone correction and saved the raw file back to disk.

Then I made the mistake of importing them into Lightroom, and watched in horror as Lightroom set them all to Adobe Color.

I know Lightroom does this all the time, but I'd thought that using Imaging Edge would save my selections. Another issue is, Lightroom doesn't have all the Sony presets - no Sunset, no Autumn Leaves.

So now I have to re-edit all those files, and probably won't be able to get some of them back to the way I liked them.

Lightroom, you suck.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So the original files you changed in IE were deleted from the disk when you imported them into LR?

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Yes, that's my fault. I used an autoimport folder. Because Lightroom stopped importing otherwise.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
LR edits are non-destructive. Like most editors I am aware of, it does not actually modify the original files/data, it only saves the adjustments in the catalog. It may optionally also use sidecar files (imagename.xmp I think), and some editors do something similar, or the edits are possibly stored in the metadata in the RAWs.

I do not know about Imaging Edge as I've not used that in a long time. So I do not know where it stores the changes, or if it embeds them somewhere in the RAWs. If it uses sidecars, they may still be in the original location. Chances are the RAW files are in the same state as they were before you imported them. So maybe you could move the RAWs back to where they were and find your edits are intact, as before importing to Lightroom.

I'd probably backup everything before trying to recover, just in case.

Incidentally, most edits are non-transferable between programs. The editing is proprietary to each piece of software, but they will sometimes try to read other editor's saved adjustments. e.g. Capture One does this for Lightroom catalogs, I think ON1 does too, maybe some others. I would guess Lightroom itself doesn't read anyone else, but I could be wrong about that.

mattia

TalkEmount Veteran
Did lightroom actually make changes t the file?? I would assume your adjustments are still in there - but coded to some proprietary bit of the ARW file (instead of in a sidecar file, which what lightroom does for non-DNG RAW formats by default). So just open them in Edge, export to TIFF and adjust further in lightroom or something...

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Thanks guys, you gave me an idea...but now to make a backup before I do anything.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Ok it worked, I saved the files. For the record, if you're working with Sony raw in Imaging Edge, you have to export as TIF before you import into Lightroom.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
LR edits are non-destructive. Like most editors I am aware of, it does not actually modify the original files/data, it only saves the adjustments in the catalog. It may optionally also use sidecar files (imagename.xmp I think), and some editors do something similar, or the edits are possibly stored in the metadata in the RAWs.

I do not know about Imaging Edge as I've not used that in a long time. So I do not know where it stores the changes, or if it embeds them somewhere in the RAWs. If it uses sidecars, they may still be in the original location. Chances are the RAW files are in the same state as they were before you imported them. So maybe you could move the RAWs back to where they were and find your edits are intact, as before importing to Lightroom.

I'd probably backup everything before trying to recover, just in case.

Incidentally, most edits are non-transferable between programs. The editing is proprietary to each piece of software, but they will sometimes try to read other editor's saved adjustments. e.g. Capture One does this for Lightroom catalogs, I think ON1 does too, maybe some others. I would guess Lightroom itself doesn't read anyone else, but I could be wrong about that.
Adding to this: Imaging Edge modifies the raw files directly, so the edits will have been preserved in the raw files. Later editing in Lightroom won't change that.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Adding to this: Imaging Edge modifies the raw files directly, so the edits will have been preserved in the raw files. Later editing in Lightroom won't change that.
It seemed crazy to me they would actually apply destructive edits to RAWs, and even found a "hint" on a Sony web page that said edits were non-destructive. So I decided to try I with a copy of a random RAW file. I made some oddball adjustments, enough to ensure there would be no confusion between edited and unedited.

It's true that after editing, it does write to the RAW (though to be fair you could alternatively save the edited image to a separate RAW file). However, it is possible to get the unedited version back. There is a non-obvious "version stack" panel in the lower right of the edit window. The version appears to update with each save, and the SOOC unedited image is one of the versions. You can also set any version as the "current" version including the original unedited one. It seems to save whatever image is current as the embedded JPEG preview, as this is what is seen in Windows Explorer. I am going to guess they are saving the edit list in a custom metadata extension (perhaps in maker notes). Regardless of version - the original file, edited file, edited but rolled back file - in Capture One they all looked the same, so I think the file segments that have the original RAW data are actually still present unaltered. I am not interested enough to tear the file apart and do binary comparisons to verify, but that is my conclusion.

In any case, while Imaging Edge is much improved, I have no plans to abandon Capture One in favor of it. :shakehead:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom