1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom reorganized

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by addieleman, Jan 1, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    As I have a few days off and the weather didn't inspire me much the last few days, I went about to reorganize my Lightroom catalog. From my Adobe Bridge days I had a lot of folders and subfolders and I converted them into a few main folders and tagging the pictures with keywords to compensate for the loss of information by moving them into one main folder.

That took me several days and I don't know if I'll be completely happy with it: handling large amounts of files in one folder makes LR sluggish on my laptop (which is about the most powerful HP laptop I could find and it cost me a lot of money). I'm thinking of replacing one of the hard drives by an SSD containing the operating system, the caches and the catalog. And I may want to use another cataloging program just to have an alternative source when LR destroys something or I make a user error (happened during the job, cost me 4 hours to repair the damage).

A few minutes ago I considered the job done and look what happened: exactly 30,000 pictures!
    i-BQD9nfr-XL.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sorry to hear of the trouble you had getting this all ironed out.

Being a long time PS/Bridge user I just never could get a handle on the LR interface(s). Bridge uses the same folder system my web server uses, it's just much easier for me to maintain than a "catalog."

Just the way my brain is wired I guess. ;)

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I used CS6 Adobe Bridge today again, just to see how it feels after having worked with Lightroom for some time now. Oh yeah I remember now, unsharp previews, one of my main gripes with Bridge. I'd have to give up Bridge anyway because I'm not prepared to keep up with Photoshop updates, especially now LR is offering so many features that only were available in Photoshop before. The improved spot healing function comes to mind. Fortunately LR became a lot faster after optimizing the catalog, something that is obviously really necessary when doing a lot of reshuffling.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    30,000 images? In a little more than 10 years of shooting digitally, I've saved just over 3,000! Either I'm a pathetic slacker, or a lot more merciless when culling my library, Ad. ;)

Speaking of which, today is the day I go a-hackin' and a-hewin' through 2013's images before tagging the survivors and moving them into the permanent library. Oh joy.:rolleyes:

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Depends really. I tend to keep a lot of family/dog/holiday shots. Stuff made on an outing of my own is much more strictly selected. In my defence I can also say that I also keep slide scans and pictures of my daughter and others in my catalog. Today I broke through the 6000-test-shot-barrier; hmm, maybe not something to be proud of...

Enjoy. I'm cleaning up keywords at this very moment...

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I'm a borderline hoarder with physical objects but for some reason I'm fairly good about deleting photos. (I'm at 10907 at the moment, some not yet migrated from iPhoto. I guess I've got some library cleaning to do in addition to my house cleaning. :()

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Recently upgraded from LR 3.6 to 5.3 and I've noticed the LR5 is more "sluggish" than my old version - and I too like Dave have less than 3000 images...

8. flash

flash TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    Lightroom 4 and 5 use a different processing engine. The results are better but it's more intensive.

If you have LR5.3 then the easiest way to speed Lightroom up is to use the smart previews function. Once they're created you can disconnect the drive with the actual images and work using the smaller smart previews. You can do pretty much anything except export full sized files. When you need to output a file you just reconnect the drive and away you go.

As an aside, I have three catalogues with a total of 250,000 images. My largest catalogue has 100K images. LR is no faster or slower with more or less files, for me.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2