Lightroom or...?

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Hello there.

A newbie question here. Does Adobe still have the "classic" edition of Lightroom? I.e. one that can be downloaded and used without the cloud-based subscription? If not, does the latest version of it support Sony A7mk3? And... if it doesn't... what's the best course of action in that case? ;)

Thanks.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I had the original Lightroom for many years but found that I had to "upgrade" to the new cloud version subscription to get the very latest (7 something) to support the Sony A7III. On the plus side you get the mobile version and also Photoshop.

runnerpsu

TalkEmount Top Veteran

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
To clarify you will need an Adobe CC subscription to get the latest versions of LR. Non-subscription versions are no longer supported.

Note: having an Adobe CC subscription does not mean you are using the cloud version. You have the option of Lightroom CC (cloud) or Lightroom Classic CC (Downloaded to Desktop). Whether you use the cloud or classic you still need a subscription which as Christilou points out will also include Photoshop and LR mobile for $10 a month.

Adobe screwed up The naming conventions when they called the subscription “Creative Cloud” instead of simply Adobe LR subscription like anti-virus companies do.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks guys.
Here's another question then... Do I really need "A7iii" support? I mean, is it worth getting the subscription just for that? Perhaps I could just continue using my old desktop version of LR for the time being? In other words, what benefits does official support give us?

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
Thanks guys.
Here's another question then... Do I really need "A7iii" support? I mean, is it worth getting the subscription just for that? Perhaps I could just continue using my old desktop version of LR for the time being? In other words, what benefits does official support give us?
Your version of Lightroom will not open the RAW files of the A7III. Don't know about the jpeg files.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
That's very sad indeed...

Are there any good alternatives? I don't feel like giving Adobe any more coins.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Does Sony still offer a free version of Capture One with its cameras? I recall that I got a flyer with a link to it with my RX100 M5 last year but never got around to actually trying it out. Anyway, if they do, they might provide the ability to open and process RAW.

dburanich

TalkEmount Regular
Does Sony still offer a free version of Capture One with its cameras? I recall that I got a flyer with a link to it with my RX100 M5 last year but never got around to actually trying it out. Anyway, if they do, they might provide the ability to open and process RAW.
When I did my research a couple weeks ago the only thing I could find was 10% off Capture One for new Sonys. I believe Imaging Edge may be the new Sony freebie software.
Another site I went to for research had a few users who started to install Imaging Edge and then aborted midstream as the software was going to do something to their computers they were not pleased with. I don't remember what the exact problem was though.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I've not tried the latest software from Sony, but it was always pretty weak in terms of editing capabilities. I could not recommend it.

I use Capture One Pro for Sony (C1). They have a Sony Express edition which is completely free. If your needs are pretty basic, it might be all you need. The Sony Pro is $79 and unlocks all Capture One capabilities, but only for Sony files. Or there is the full product if you need it for other systems, and there are montly subscription options as well if you prefer. More at Buy Capture One | Capture One Online Store.

In my mind, LR's biggest advantage is the very large and active user base, and a somewhat friendlier but more modal interface. Capture One is a bit more intimidating at first, but has some really useful color editing among other tools, and I like their default processing better than LR. All tools can now (as of version 11) be used on an adjustment layer. Sort of like having basic PS capabilities embedded in LR.

You can use the full C1 for a 30 day trial. Adobe has a LR trial for one week. Maybe you should just give each a whirl and see what you like. And of course there are others - Luminar, DXO, etc. Since I have limited to no experience with them, I cannot say what makes them better/worse.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I like Luminar, and once they provide a DAM (coming later this month, they say), I’ll be dumping Lightroom and all of my other Adobe software. It may not be what you’re after, but it’s got a free trial too.

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
There's also AlienSkin Exposure X3, On1 Photo Raw, Darktable, ACDSee, Corel AfterShot Pro, Lightzone... there's definitely not a shortage of options. I've tried them all. None have lured me away from LR completely. I'm in the same boat as @WoodWorks with Skylum's Luminar and their promised DAM (although, I'm beginning to feel like a sucker because they've been promising a DAM for a while with nothing to show but a marketing video). Exposure X3 would likely make me switch cold turkey if Skylum's DAM turns out to be a dud. I'm not really in a hurry to switch; I have a perpetual license for LR6, supported cameras and a comfort level from using the app for the past 10 or so years.

If you're looking and just starting out with a photo management/raw editor, all of the mentioned apps have trials. I recommend trying as many as you can stomach.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
I have stand alone LR, and a supported camera, but really dislike subscription based software. As LR was something I was just getting started with when Adobe moved to a subscription model, I basically did as Randy suggests, tried a few different trial packages. For me Luminar seemed to gel the best, but everyone's needs/likes/dislikes are going to be different. If you are just starting with photo processing, then I suggest watching some of the tutorial style video's for the various programs. They can help you get started, but treat them as guides not gospel.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom