1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom or?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Xterra, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    Seems LR 6 Standalone is the latest or one has to go CC. No LR 7 on the horizon. I just like standalone licenses for various reasons. Any alternatives some people here use?
    Also is it worth converting files to DNG or is it just a Adobe standard?

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Lightroom 6 is less than a year old. There was speculation as to whether it would come in a post-CC world since there wasn't a beta, but it did. Also there was a two year gap between LR3 and LR4. I'm sure we'll see Lightroom 7 appear at some point in the 12 months.

But Capture One is a good alternative. Especially if you only shoot with Sony.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    For what it's worth, I used LR for a while but then switched to Capture One. The interfaces are quite different, but I find it easier for me to get the results I want, and you can customize the interface quite extensively. It seems less polished at first, but it has some very interesting tools.

You can get a limited feature version for free (I think they call it "Express") that just works with Sony, or the full version for only $50 but still just for Sony cameras. You can also try the full version for I think it is 30 days for free, then it reverts back to the limited edition .

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've considered time and again to leave Lightroom for C1 (Capture One) but always decided not to. The showstoppers to go to Capture One: 1) no way to make lens correction profiles myself and 2) no cheap and easy way to make camera profiles. I usually process all my pictures, even snapshots, and in the end I can get what I want with Lightroom (and Photoshop) as well as with C1. A large part of the reluctance to switch is also due to all the processing I've done so far and that would have to be repeated in C1. Earlier I went from Nikon's Capture NX to LR and sometimes I have to redo the processing from scratch if I want something changed in an old raw file. So I just pay my subscription and be done with it. Does Adobe hold me captive? Yes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

BTW, does LR6 recognize the new non-lossy RAWs from the A7II?

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What tempted you to switch from the stand-alone version to the subscription, Ad? Was it the in-between-major-updates features?

7. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    thanks guys. Very informative info here. I keep a standalone simply because at times live abroad for an extended time and the subscription does not like travel :) beyond 99 days :)

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That was an important reason. I also like to be current with my software versions, unless there's a real reason not to. And the cost of updating Photoshop and Lightroom on a regular basis was at least as expensive as paying € 12 per month as I do now. The switch from Nikon Capture NX to LR taught me any raw processor holds you captive: you have to redo the processing if you decide to work on a raw file again after switching. So stand-alone or subscription, to me it's like you're held hostage anyway. I have the luxury of not working professionally with this software so if Adobe goes berserque it only affects this hobby, not my professional environment (which is software development).

9. Xterra

Feb 8, 2016
    Strasbourg, France
    David
    also anyone use the DNG files? Thats how I get by at the moment to recognize the non lossy format from the A7II
    I wish ALL camera manufacturers would finally gang together and come up with a standard! Like the good ole JPEG (jpg)

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    At one time I was considering switching to having DNG's generated from my raw files. In doing that I had a major disaster, that's all I remember really (and that I had backups :)), and I decided to never try that again. I don't see the point anyway, the only reason could be that Adobe or any other program would support DNG's when the raw files would be too old to be supported, but so far all major raw processors continue to support the old raw files I have (from Sony F828, Fuji S9600, Nikon D200, to name a few older cameras). I sometimes have to convert to DNG, e.g. to make lens correction profiles, but I never discard the corresponding raw files.

About that 90 days without internet, that's not likely to happen for me so that's not a consideration.

11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    As I understand it, you can lose some camera-specific RAW metadata converting to DNG, e.g. certain camera settings. I've not looked at it for some time, so it is possible the format has been updated to accommodate capturing unrecognized data.

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Like Ad, I had a near disaster when I blithely decided to convert all of my old raw files to .dng. Suddenly all of my old Olympus E-10 files were no longer recognized by Lightroom. Fortunately I had a good back up, so I deleted all of the .dng files I had created and went back to the original raw files. I can't think of any good reason to try that again. :shakehead:

13. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I have gone back to lightroom as its cataloguing functions are really good but I am using DxO Optics Pro/FilmPack/Viewpoint for most of my image correction. It runs as a lightroom plug in, or it can be used standalone.

Filmpack is excellent for black and white conversions and Viewpoint is much better than lightroom for geometry correction. Haven't tried Capture One

14. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Yes, latest LR works with upgrade A7ii firmware, I confirm. Use it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Are you referring to LR 6.x.y. - the latest standalone version?

Regarding software I shoot everything in RAW and use different converters for different projects (LR, C1, DXO, SilkyPix, rawtherapee). My main image hub is ACDSee Pro though, not the most stable software there is but I've been using it for many years and love the speed and versatility. I don't use DNGs (too much trouble) but keep all my RAWs and the TIFs for the prints on a number of backup drives.

17. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    I think it is 6.1. Cannot check this moment, it is home.

For quick browsing I use faststone. It is really quick and reliable. I remember acdsee being slow years ago, so I replaced it with this one.

Tapatalk

18. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    It is LR 6.1.1 (with Camera RAW 9.1.1).

19. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    To me whatever you are used to stick with it unless it is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Great advice. The fact is all of these raw processors bring something to the table that may be better than their counterparts. Conversely, they also bring something that is worse than their counterparts. As a result, it boils down to what works for you.

I am at the point were I use LR and DXO Optics as a plug-in. LR is such a great workflow and library manager. However, its raw processor while powerful, just seems to force you to tweak much longer than others. DXO is the complete opposite. Workflow and library management is lacking. One could even argue the raw processor isn't as flexible as LR since it lacks local adjustment features. That said, the out-of-the box image from it's raw processor and lens profiles are amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1