1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lightroom custom Sony color profiles

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by stephen431, Jul 2, 2014.

1. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 10
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks for sharing

3. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    How do you install these into LR5?
    Sorry I'm new to all this.

4. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Just extract the .dcp files into lightroom's cameraprofiles folder. The trick is to find where that folder is. In my Windows 7 (LR4) it's located in:

c:\users\[yourusername]\appdata\roaming\adobe\cameraraw\cameraprofiles\

5. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

Thanks, but I have an iMac :confused:

6. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Try here:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

7. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks!
    Found the file folder and added the color files to the A6000 folder...how do I find them in LR5?

8. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    You can find those profiles in the Camera Calibration tab. It should be the most bottom tab in the Develop module. Keep in mind that the camera profiles are only available with RAW file.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Yeah... I just discovered last night after accidentally shooting just JPG that profiles are not available...sigh...

• Like Like x 1
  10. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    One thing to be aware of. If you've changed your white balance while set to one of the original Adobe built-in color profiles, and then change to one of these additional profiles, you will likely need to reset your white balance and apply those adjustments again or your colors may look a little wacky.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I can't get them to work on my mac either :(

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

12. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    In Lightroom, open your preferences, click "Presets" tab, then click "Show Lightroom Presets Folder..".
    It will open an "Adobe" folder in a Finder window. You should see a "CameraRaw" folder in that window. When you open the "CameraRaw" folder, you'll find the "CameraProfiles" folder where you will paste these profiles.
    Next time you open Lightroom, you'll find these new profiles in the Camera Calibration section of the Develop module.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    I had some landscape shots taken yesterday that I had just put into Lightroom without making any changes in camera calibration, just using standard LR settings. I then set up the new preset as described and re-imported using that preset and compared the two. If there are any differences, they are very subtle....or maybe I'm just not seeing them. Should I be?? Anyone else tried this yet??

14. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    The differences between the built-in color profiles and these profiles are subtle, but a few of the non-built-in profiles are dramatically different.

You don't have to reimport. You can do a Y/Y split screen comparison in the Develop module on the RAW file by just changing to a new color profile in the camera calibration box.

15. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Got it! Had to restart the computer for it to take effect

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

16. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thank you so much! I have tried putting profiles in so many different places, but they were never visible. You saved me! Thank you!!!

17. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thank you for install explanation. On the one file I tried them on for a6000 saw big difference.

18. pjtan25

pjtan25 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    Thank you Stephen
    This worked for me.

I had another folder under Adobe (I guess for Photoshop) that had a bunch of camera profiles.
    I added it there but nothing worked in Lightroom.

Then I followed your instructions and realized that Lightroom doesnt share directories with Photoshop. (at least in this instance).

Now to find camera profiles for my other cameras.
    Any suggestions on where to fine Camera profiles for Nikon D800 and Panasonic GH4?

Thanks
    Patrick

19. stephen431

May 2, 2014
    Sorry, no. I stumbled across these profiles when I noticed the Lightroom color profiles for the 5N didn't really look like their Sony in-camera counterparts. There's a new ACR release candidate that has updated support for the GH4. They may have improved the color profiles in that release, so you might want to check that out.