Lightroom 6 tomorrow 3/20

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WestOkid, Mar 19, 2015.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This may be old to those that have been following, but I just realized I have never seen a LR6 discussions here. From all indications, this is a significant update. Supposedly a few functions that may eliminate the need for other software in the workflow. According to the pre-release info. Lightroom 6 will be able to handle bracketed photos and HDR, advanced B&W conversion, better healing brush for spot corrections, Panorama stitching, and even slideshow creation. Those things use to require us to rely on other software. If LR6 does them well, it could be one stop for some advanced post processing work.

http://www.diyphotography.net/light...n-march-20-according-to-an-amazon-japan-leak/

What do you all think? Is this big or not?

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Not qualified to answer as I'm just scratching the surface on LR5.
    Will offer that when I was researching / making my recent LR5 purchase, there were some minimum PC or Mac system requirements to use LR6

3. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yes. They have upped the requirements. I believe it is 64bit only. Which also brings up another key feature. LR6 will utilize GPU processing. This is long time coming.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    As long as they keep selling it as a stand-alone product, I'll keep upgrading. I'm quite happy with LR5, but the new features look promising. About the only thing I go into Photoshop for now is the rare panorama stitch, so this will probably make Photoshop expendable for me. If I ever need pixel-level editing, Pixelmator will do all that I desire. Good thing too, as I'm stuck with Photoshop CS5. :rolleyes:

A better clone/heal brush would be nice, though the one in LR5 is already pretty amazing. And if the b&w conversion approaches what I can get with Silver Efex Pro, then that's one less round trip I'll need to make.

Slideshows? Books? Meh!

But if they make LR6 part of their hostageware rental scheme, then Adobe has seen the last penny they're ever going to get from me. :shakehead:

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Whatever new features are there or not, I'll upgrade. At one point in time I'll want to anyway because I bought a lens and/or camera so I might just as well do it now.

6. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Yeah...looking forward to get it.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Adobe has a new update for PS camera raw and DNG converter, but nothing for LR 5. So we need to upgrade to LR6 to get new Sony lens corrections... At least they are still supporting PS6...

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just checked for updates via the menu in Photoshop CS6. No updates available that way.

9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am a CC subscriber. Will they give us a free update with the subscription?

10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Cc subscribers get all updates and upgrades.

11. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Mine got updated by Adobe updater when I logged into my computer yesterday.

12. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I have LR4 and Photoshop Elements. Is it worth doing that CC monthly subscription thing? Can you cancel at anytime?

13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, you can cancel anytime. And in the case of Photoshop, it won't really be a big deal, as .psd files can be opened in any number of other software applications. But for other apps in the CC, it's not so simple. Illustrator, for example, with which I make my living, is not openable by anything else available on the market today (mainly because Adobe bought, and then killed, Aldus Freehand). Same story for Premiere and InDesign. So were I to sign up for CC, all of my work done in the CC version of Illustrator would essentially be held hostage by Adobe, and I would be forced to keep paying ransom to them until the day I retire. That's why I find the whole idea of renting software from Adobe so nefarious. Once they have you in their clutches... :shakehead:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    See that's what scares me. I did a free month about two years ago, and they made it so difficult to cancel. Think I'll hold off.

15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I heartily endorse your decision. :bravo-009: Maybe if fewer people caved in, Adobe might be forced to rethink their strategy.

Having said that, LR5 was a huge update over LR4. So you may want to consider buying the stand-alone version of Lightroom when LR6 rolls out. As I mentioned earlier, I hardly ever have to leave Lightroom to do any edits to my images these days, and LR6 may make it even rarer.

16. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Did you notice if there was a lessor cost to simply buy an upgrade if you already have LightRoom 5 ?

18. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    its usually the same costs for any version.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...then I can't imagine any reason I'd ever buy another version of LightRoom just to tweak a few JPEGs as I do.

20. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'll be picking up a copy. Certainly. The GPU usage, by itself, would be enough, but HDR merging is huge for me. It'll make dealing the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6's massive vignetting a whole lot easier (expose for corners, mid-field, and center, then merge).

• Useful Useful x 1