1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 6 is here!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by WoodWorks, Apr 21, 2015.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've just downloaded the US$79 upgrade and briefly explored some of its new features, including the new panorama feature:

17039374090_4e775a1683_b.
    DSC01647-Pano.jpg
    by Holzwerk, on Flickr

That image was stitched together from 5 portrait-orientation images shot with the A7 and SEL2470Z lens. One really cool thing is that you can combine raw files in your pano and Lightroom creates a .dng file that retains all of the edibility of a the original raw files. Very nice!

I just checked Adobe's site to see if they have any new Lightroom tutorial videos, but nothing for Lightroom 6 just yet. And until my workload abates, I won't have much time to explore the new features. But it's available for download, including the non-subscription version. So those of you who have been waiting, wait no more!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    hmm is it actually 6 tho? what i see is Lightroom CC separate from lightroom 5 .... haven't tried anything out yet. just curious were you a creative cloud member when you paid the 79$?

3. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, it's Lightroom 6. And yes, it's available for download from Adobe's site in non-CC format. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the Lightroom page, click "buy" and then click "edit" to gain access to the non-CC version.

And no, I've never been a member of Creative Cloud. I'll gouge out my eyes with a spork before I relinquish control over all of my files to Adobe. :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the heads-up, just installed it. Changing pictures in the Develop module was downright sluggish, it used the integrated graphics adapter instead of the nVidia adapter that's also in my laptop. I had to explicitly indicate in the nVidia configuration program that Lightroom 6 should use the nVidia adapter, after that Lightroom obliged and uses that one. It's faster now but still not a speed demon. I have the impression that the rendering is a little crisper when pixel-peeping. When bumping up the sharpening sometimes jagged edges occur as reported on dpreview. LR6 still does that, here sharpening amount is at 150 and radius is 1.0.
    i-6pT4gFm.

Haven't seen any new features so far.

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, in addition to the panorama and HDR features, I gather that there's now:

...a Filter Brush tool that allows for regions of gradient and radial filters to be painted out or in, to allow filters to be better matched to the image they're being applied to. Previously, while these filters were very flexible indeed, they suffered from an inability for finer control through masks. This brush tool should help address exactly that, by allowing you to directly edit, say, a gradient you've applied...

I look forward to playing with that.

It's pretty zippy on my 4-year old MacBook Pro hooked up to my 27-inch monitor. At least I haven't noticed any degradation in speed yet.

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    im confused. i've got a legit copy of LR5 and it says there is an update, when i get to the website and click on the download LR 6 for desktop at the bottom it says 149 in my cart.. Where is this 79$ price you found?

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave

i am glad is not only me that can't find it.

9. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Its a pain to find, it often requires you call adobe or write them. Aside from that its a good update. the HDR merge is the best out there by far, and you can use it to average photos and create effects. Shadows look more natural to me also. If you have a nice video card and a modern multicore (intel and nvidia, I cant understand the people that insist on AMD) speed increases by a lot. An import that had been done before now took almost a minute less.

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You have to click on the "edit" tab up by "I want to buy", and then change "Full" to "Upgrade," then tell it what you're upgrading from and it will change the price. Then check out, and you're done. Trust me, it only costs US$79 if you're upgrading from Lightroom 5. But Adobe doesn't make it easy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    Thats a mighty beautiful stitch!

Attached Files:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    If someone else already has it it might want to comment how faster is when lightroom is using the dedicated graphics adapter of their desktop pc. The reason I am asking for this is that even the graphics adapter on laptops (the non-embedded ones on m/b,cpu) are still lagging to the chipsets of external graphic cards on desktops

Regards
    Alex

13. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    thanks

14. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Downloading it. I am cc member and had to disconnect reconnect to be able to see it...gonna try it now !

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So much for the thoroughness of my investigations :D. That filter brush looks very interesting, I'll try that out today. Panorama and HDR leave me stone-cold so far, maybe that changes when I play around with them.

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Had this picture waiting to go to Photoshop because I wanted to darken the sky at the right without affecting the tonality in the buildings.
    i-KkrfSgk-XL.

Now I can stay in Lightroom. Applied a graduation filter from right to left and used a brush to erase the changes in the buildings. Killer feature!
    i-T26fx9p-XL.

Must say though that LR becomes sluggish when using the brush in the graduation filter and exporting a picture with these changes is much, much slower than an export without them.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thats for sure...I followed your steps and was able to get just the upgrade selected for $79...then clicked "checkout" and I just seem to go to another Adobe product sort of page...never can get to an actual "checkout" page toi buy the upgrade...have signed off and gone through the sequence 3 times, but can't get it finalized...cookies are enabled, etc.
    I was using Firefox...anybody know if Adobe will only respond well to Internet Explorer?

18. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Are you certain that you did the step where you tell Adobe which version of Lightroom you're upgrading from? If you miss that step, it puts you into the kind of loop you're describing.

19. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks, and yes, had to in order to get the $79 price.
    I finally brought up my Internet Explorer browser and everything went fine, just finished downloading the LR6 upgrade.
    Figured if I'm going to learn how to use LR, might as well learn on the latest version.

20. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    One cool thing to do in hdr mode is to take a few shots handheld of something moving, like say water, and then average them in hdr to create the long exposure effect by unselecting the deghost feature

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1