1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom 5 Beta

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rich, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    There is a Public Beta version of Lightroom 5 available from Adobe. Had a quick look and it would seem to have some worthwhile additions. Hoping to get around to giving it a try tomorrow evening.

Rich.

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    can't see this on adobes web site Rich, point me in the right direction please

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
  4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
  5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Radial gradients ... I would totally kill to get this in Aperture! I just can't cope changing to Lightroom because I love the management part of Aperture so much, but the editing ... well, is crap compared to even LR4.

6. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have been using iPhoto and really want to upgrade. Aperture is the logical choice because I too like the management including the seamless interaction with iPhoto, but the majority of people keep telling me to go with Lightroom. I wish Apple would get their act together and get the next Aperture upgrade out already.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I love Aperture, but I still have to say Lightroom is worlds better nowadays. I just can justify staying with Aperture because my workflow with quite a few plugins and external editing programs works quite well for me. It's neither the most convenient organization nor the best working, but for the amount of photos I actually develop it's okay.

8. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    I've been using LR for years to catalogue photos in the tens of thousands. I also flirted with Aperture for a while, and the only difference I could see with regard to organizing your photos is that LR uses an independent catalog/database while Aperture references the photos directly. Tagging, collections, etc. are just about the same.

The direction Apple us taking its professional tools is disappointing to say the least. Final Cut has caused an uproar for being dumbed down, and Aperture is sorely lagging behind LR at this point.

So, for those contemplating the leap, I encourage you to go ahead! You owe it to yourself and your photography to use the best tool around.

9. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    Also, the very affordable Nik suite (as well as any major plugins) integrates seamlessly with LR. Nik has all the bells and whistles—noise reduction, sharpening, hdr, a multitude of processing tools, light control. More than I need, really, for $150. Quite a steal.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    First, the Nik Software plugins also work with Aperture.

Second: FCP X was really disappointing in the beginning - but the concept of the magnetic timeline is totally awesome! And now, 8 or so big updates later, FCP X is a video editing software with a great value and in aworkflow more than capable enough. Why Apple gave up the whole suite? Well, because there are people who did some things much better than Apple (hint: DaVinci Resolve).

If Aperture will go the way of Final Cut, I'll totally take it.

11. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    I know. I was reacting to the comment about some plugins working with Aperture (and presumably, not LR). Point was, any plugin worth its salt works across the big 3—PS, LR and Aperture. And if it doesn't, the Nik suite can do everything processing-related outside panoramas and focus stacking, so that's worth looking into.

Outside personal preference, there's no real excuse not to use LR anymore. It's been that way since 4.0 came out. :)

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I tried LR, but my pictures simply look better when tgey come out of my usual Aperture related workflow. Probably it's just me being too lazy to adapt though ..

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Advanced healing & cloning tools? Looks like after I fork out the upgrade fee, my copy of PS might start gathering dust! :p

I chose LR4 over Aperture 3 after hearing from a longtime Aperture proponent who was getting really fed up, and that was a full year ago now. If Apple wants their lunch back on this, they're going to have to make it easy to migrate back AND convince me that an Aperture library would be supported for the long haul. I don't really see either of those happening.

14. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    @Poki to tell you the truth the default LR settings for NEX and Nikon raws render badly, unless you set up a default profile you're happy with. I can share a calibration profile and/or my default settings (nothing spectacular, just baseline edits) later if anyone's interested. :)

15. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I'm interested radimere. I use Aperture but really want to give Lightroom a go. Like Poki right now I seem to better with an Aperture workflow but I think it's experience and comfort related.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's just that I am not disappointed with Aperture. Every time I spend some time on a photo and edit it purely in Aperture, I end up with results that look like I intended them to look, so I have not enough reason to change to Lightroom. Sure, not having to export a photo every time that you need more than a simple brush (i.e. layers, layer masks, gradients, ...) would be great, but at the moment, I actually like my workflow.

I already posted this photo here a couple of days ago, but just to say it: This was purely developed in Aperture. And I like how Aperture handled the light and the colors - nothing too bad I'd say.

8645239917_26ffa8a06b.

17. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    As an absolute processing newbie, and one who doesn't have much time to spend processing and probably will continue to use jpg a good bit of the time, does one make more sense than the other? Perhaps I'm exactly the type of person Aperture is aimed at? I want to get into this slowly and not be overwhelmed with the learning curve.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, learning curve will be about the same with both applications. While Aperture has less functions than Lightroom, it has still plenty to learn - and you don't have to use all the functions in Lightroom, you know? ;)

If you go with JPEGs, there shouldn't be too much difference. But keep in mind switching later is a pain in the ass, so choose whatever concept you like better after trying both demos.

19. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I would if I could, but I don't think there is an Aperture demo available anymore now that Apple went to the less expensive price model through the App store. I guess the best I can do is look at a lot of YouTube videos and try to get a sense of the program.

20. radimere

Apr 2, 2013
    I've uploaded two NEX-7 camera calibration profiles (the now defunct but perfectly usable Huelight profiles) as well as a basic preset to get a "neutral" look (no promises on the preset!).

http://bit.ly/Ysxh3W

Just copy the two .DCP files to Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/ . Your Library folder will be hidden by default in Lion; you can unhide by firing up Terminal and running:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES; killall -HUP Finder

To re-hide hidden folders:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO; killall -HUP Finder