Lightning strikes in slow motion and 4K

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by fractal, Dec 4, 2017.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    When I was in college, in an earlier century, I worked at a thunderstorm research laboratory on a 10,000 foot mountain. Lightning has been an interest of mine ever since. These are amazing images!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    That was amazeballs, thanks for sharing :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Fantastic video!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Oh my. It'd almost be worth getting hit by lightning for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. magicaxeman

magicaxeman TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    Trust me its not!! I've only had an indirect hit but it bloody well hurt and it was the scariest experience of my life!! I never felt my heart stop but I felt it start again!!

• Wow Wow x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Incredible!!

8. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Indirect can be a really big thing with lightning. Of course each strike is different, but in general each one transfers about 20 coulombs of charge in about a millisecond. (The visual part of lightning, a plasma, glows for longer than that and is brighter than sunlight. Normally even that is too brief to be detectable by human vision, but its brightness overwhelms our retina, leaving an after image.) if we figure out the time rate of change of current, it is many thousands of amps per second which generates a very large and very rapidly changing magnetic field. That changing magnetic field induces large voltages in any conductive loops "nearby". So, if you are oriented "just right", the loop of ground-right-leg-left-leg-ground is big enough to have induced voltage large enough to be bad news.

I think most lightning damage to electronics is the result of these induced voltages. Direct strikes are not required in order for damage to happen.

So stand on one foot, or lay down is what we were warned to do when we heard the tips of grass or pine needles go into corona discharge indicating a very strong electrical field and high probability of imminent lightning.

...ah, the good old days...

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Back in my mountaineering days they told us to throw a coiled rope on the ground and squat on it when we started to feel our hair stand on end. Fortunately I never got the chance to find out if that advice was any good. :laugh1:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I once worked at a place where cables for terminals went in a conduit underneath a roadway to another building across the street. Every time there was lightning in the area, the interface card in the minicomputer attached to said cables would suffer a failure. Despite other things running through the conduit, this was the only thing that would get damaged. I presume it was as chalkdust described, induced voltage.

Eventually we put in special boxes (from Black Box as I recall) between the cable and the minicomputer. Whatever those did, it solved the problem.

Lightning is fascinating, weird, and sometimes scary all at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1