lighthouse reprocessed

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bimjo, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, I was bored a bit ago and reprocessed a shot that I took the same time as those in the "Clover Island at night" post. I did dark & light versions of the same RAW file, combined them in the CS5 HDR module adjusted to taste, including reduced luminace/saturation in the blue/cyan slider in a saturation layer to kill the blue in the sky.

Then I layered that over the dark frame and used the eraser tool to erase the street light bloom in the HDR layer. A little straighten the horizon/crop and viola!

Here's the version I posted on my blog originally:

clover_island120719_04.jpg

And the one I just reprocessed:

clover_island120719_16.jpg

2. Halka

Halka TalkEmount Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    SVK
    Ľubomír Brindza
    I don't really think the original photo needed the HDR treatment. Thing with HDR is, it can be really hard to pull off right (potentially leading to exaggerated noise, haloing, washed-out colors, etc. etc.).

Subjectively, I'm not crazy about the sky as it is now (unless, of course, you went for the bleak look on purpose). Otherwise, there is a slight halo around the lighthouse you might want to mask out.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks for the comments. :)