light trails

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bimjo, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Light trails. 5N/kit zoom, 55mm @ f/5.6 for approx. 13 seconds, 2 frame HDR. I was going to go smaller aperture/longer exposure to get complete trails but after the 4th shot the sprinklers came on (rather abruptly/rudely I might add, no warning at all) and I was forced into a strategic withdrawal to save equipment for a later day.

The only reason the camera didn't get drenched is the sprinkler head 2 feet behind me shot water straight up in the air for about 5 seconds instead of out in its normal pattern. Old gimpy fat guys can move quickly when properly motivated. Some days ya just gets lucky. :cool:

cable_bridge120721_04.

Will have more later when I get pics from the other end of the bridge.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Very nice contrast both in movement and in colour with the grass and tree background.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This worked better than the ones I took after I got chased across the street. The angle here is better. And there's no grass over there either. No sprinklers either. The angle on the bridge is better though. Hopefully I'll get something worthy from the other end.

4. Halka

Halka TalkEmount Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    SVK
    Ľubomír Brindza
    Heh, which ones are those? :D

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    These? :p

cable_bridge120721_07.

cable_bridge120721_11.

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    First side definitely better - The curve in the light trails add to the shot. Less distractions. But I feel like there's too much negative space - I think I would rather see landscape orientation from a closer perspective (longer lens, or closer location).

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Unfortunately there's no native landscape shot here that I could see as I wandered around for 10 minutes before setting up here. Doesn't mean it isn't there, I just didn't see it. Used car lot on the left, trees on the right blocking the view of the cars. I could get closer, but then I lose the tree shown, which blocks a building in the background. The first one is pretty much as good as it gets. :(

Unless I crop it.
    cable_bridge120721_12.

Cropped works. The 55-210 from here might have worked as well, but the perspective would change I think. Maybe not. I don't know. Maybe I'll revisit this after the water is turned off next fall. :)

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    You've done a great job, well thought-of compositions all of them.

I like the flow of the curvy light streaks of the first pic, but yeah there's a lot of superfluous space at the bottom - to a point where the grass is beginning to compete with the subject for attention, ie. is it a bridge photo or a lawn photo. It would be perfect space for white reversed text if used for a magazine article of some sort though. I think you're right... cropping the middle-upper section to a landscape orientation, sings better.

I'm drawn to the second uncropped landscape, the street lamps and the auto light streaks leads my attention to the bridge... but there's distractions at the foreground. If you can clone out the two fire hydrants, the electric junction box and the orange street marker on the right, it'll be great too.

9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
  10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks D, you & db have me convinced. I still like the portrait version, but the crop is better. Yeah, they're putting a new building up or something & there's construction crap all over the place so I need to wait and go redo the shots from the right side. Thanks for the comments.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, your right. :) Great link. I knew that. I should'a known that. I probably did know that at some point. Sadly, at my age when new stuff goes in the brain housing group something else has to come out to make room. [sigh] :D

12. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    good pictures Bimjo, congratulations I love your photos, every day better, I will try some pics like yours next time ...:D

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Freddy. I envy you your skyline, wish we had one here. Then again I love the open spaces too.

14. Very nice!

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thank you. :)