Light Trail app for A6000?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Brandon DuBois, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Brandon DuBois

Brandon DuBois TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Anyone have any idea why this app is A5100 and A7s only?

Really like this open for star trails and fireworks. (Yes I'm a tad lazy)

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have the star trail app on my A6000, but to be honest normally use the timelapse app and process it all manually afterwards.
    What does the light trail app do that one of those two won't?

3. Brandon DuBois

Mar 31, 2013
    The Light Trail app is very similar to Olympus Live Composite.

Basically you set the length of exposure for your scene - lets say 15 seconds - it takes the first shot and properly exposes the scene - then it takes continuous 15 second shots and ONLY adds the LIGHT changes (light streaks, star trails, fireworks, etc) to the scene while not affecting the overall exposure of the scene. You can see this happen in REAL TIME on the LCD so you can decide when you like what it looks like and stops it.

Basically - it does all the stacking of the photos in camera for you and lets you view the changes live.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Ah ok, same as StarStax software in post then. Nice option to have in camera, but I will always prefer to manually play afterwards.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Are you sure this works on star trails? The reason I ask is because the "star trails app" cost twice as much as the "light trail app." If it's more versitile and cheaper, I don't see why I shouldn't get it over the startrails app even though I don't need it for light trails. When I read the info on the light trail app it seems to look for "bright objects that change or move" like headlights and fireworks while ignoring stationary light sources.

6. Brandon DuBois

Mar 31, 2013
    Am i sure - No but I'd pay for it and try it.

The "Star Trail" app produces a video not a still photo - its a time-lapse basically

7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    You have the option in the Star Trail to produce a video or still(s).

8. Brandon DuBois

Mar 31, 2013
    Really? I couldn't find any mention of that anywhere on the app.

9. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I find all of the apps hard to find options TBH! You are right though, it is movie only, I was thinking of the time-lapse app that lets you choose.
    I think this was one of the reasons I don't like the Star Trails app is IMO it should keep the original JPG's as well as produce a video so you have the option to post process too.
    It has some really nice features like defaulting to MF and a test shot function (both of which are lacking from the time-lapse app) - but with only a video output is not flexible enough for me.

10. Brandon DuBois

Mar 31, 2013
    Yea - that's what I thought. The "Light Trail" app could be great if it works for Star Trails (and on the A6000) - I believe I read output is RAW also.

Time Laspe is an option but a universal remote (intervolemter) does the same thing (and more!)

11. Flashoser

Flashoser New to TalkEmount

Mar 26, 2016
    Michael Walker
    anyone find out why the A6000 don't have it?, I just bought the Camera, and am now disappointed that I cannot get it it's for lesser camera the A5100? which don't make sense to me..unless it's built in somewhere in the Scenes or something..