1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Light Sensor for right exposure

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Mar 14, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I would like to ask you where my nex-f3 has a light sensor that would allow me to know that this would be a right exposure? I am using manual mode but I do not have a way to value if I am having a right exposure or not.

Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    At least mine C3 does. It is value under F. It is in EV so -2 means you have to have 4 times longer exposure etc..

The real trick is to take test photo and look both photo and histograms.

3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Use live histogram to evaluate your exposure. I found it usefull over simply lcd brithnes watching, coz lcd grow dark in low light, so you are not able to evluate exposure accuracy (especially indoors..)

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am not sure what you mean here. Probably it would be good to check the manual again

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I have checked the manual and I have not found something like my nex reporting the right exposure. In my old Zenith slr camera there was a red and green light to show when I was reaching the right exposure

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    In my C3 the symbol is MM in lower left corner of the display. It is followed by a number ranging from -2.0 to 2.0. That tells how much exposure is of. Blinking value means more than that. MM stands for metered manual. The value is in EV's. That is from -1 to zero you have to double exposure time or increase aperture by one stop or double ISO.

It is best to look the histograms after test shot. They are much more informative.

7. fishmatter

fishmatter New to TalkEmount

Mar 20, 2013
    You're much better off using the histogram - it tells you a lot more information that whether or not, according to whatever metering mode you've chosen, the camera thinks you've got the correct exposure.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    and how do I interpret the histogram. I only look on that after the picture is taken?

A.

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. Basically histogram tells you how much there are pixels with different light levels. The peak should be about middle of histogram. (normal photographs, low key images have the peak in lower, high key upper part of histogram.)

Now the idea is to take test shots and adjust exposure with them.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    So I can not check the histogram in advance, camera has first to take the shot and then analyze it. Is only important the peak to be at the middle ? I though is good also when the histogram starts looking like a gaussian distribution with the tails reaching the borders of the x axis. Is that right?

Alex

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    In many cases, you'll get a gaussian distribution without exposing specifically for it. But in the end, the thing that matters most is simply that there is nothing at the left and right ends of the histogram - because this is the data that will be lost. If you shoot RAW, turn DRO off to get a more correct histogram. And last but not least - don't care too much and have fun!

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That I do, I just want to get a bit of understanding of the more-correct exposures. I still have to found though my nex-f3 light sensor settings. I guess that might be also shown in the lcd's exposure indicator.