Light leak on Sony A7, with Novoflex adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Adstars, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Adstars

Adstars New to TalkEmount

Sep 8, 2014
    Trying some long exposure shots with my adapted voigtlander 35mm f1.2 and noticed some serious light leak in the lower left corner. The adapter brand is novoflex, and considering the price tag I wasn't expecting this. I have a metabones Leica M adapter, and although it doesn't seem to fit quite as smoothly and snugly as the novoflex, it doesn't suffer light leak when used for a similar shot.

DSC01920.jpg by Adsters, on Flickr
    30 seconds exposure, f11, and an ND filter
  2. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Looks like Walmart woman hair tie might be your cheapest solution now :)

If you still have warranty, should send it in. I did and Sony fixed my A7r.
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    There was some discussion elsewhere about a Novoflex adapter for Leica R that was leaking light. (The R mount might be trickier to seal up - my Metabones R adapter has a definite leak as well.)

At least in that instance, Novoflex improved the design and eventually got the OP a satisfactory unit. (Took a few attempts, though...)

If you're going to be doing that kind of shot a lot, extra precautions might not be a bad idea anyway. The A7 series seems to have a bit of an issue with leaks around the mount (as do other makes).

FWIW for conventional shooting (i.e. not doing long exposures in sunlight) I've never had a single frame affected by my adapter light leak. (You can sure tell it's there with the lens cap on and exposure set on "auto"!)
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Buy the metal mount n replace the one that came on the a7?

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.
  5. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014