1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Light leak on my A7...NOT what you think

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by f/otographer, Mar 6, 2014.

1. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    (This is a direct repost of mine from another forum...just to lazy to type it all up again)

No this isnt about the issue circulating right now about some A7's leaking light around the lens mount on certain torture tests. Im not sure if mine has that and not really concerned since I dont shoot those type of exposures. Although Sonyalpharumors is reporting that Sony has acknowledged that problem and is researching it.

No, this light leak is much more insidious. And it can effect anyone who shoots with adapted lenses. And not just on the A7. What I find is that I have a light leak in my C/Y adapter.

The only reason I saw it was that I had forgot to turn my camera off after a recent shoot testing my new Tokina 17/3.5. I put the lens cap back on and got in the car. That was when I noticed light trails on the back of my A7 on an otherwise dark screen. I thought surely this was just from the lens cap so covered it with my hand. No change. Hmmmm I thought...

I moved my hand all over the lens adapter combo and then noticed the light leak went away when I covered the small lens release pin on the adapter. I confirmed it a couple of times in the car and again when I got home.

Moral of the story? Check your adapters. Irregardless of the issue Sony is having right now your own adapter may be adding to the issue. We all know that most of these adapters are made pretty cheaply in China and there can be all sorts of tolerance issues. But dont just assume if you get a good seal on both the camera side and lens side that the adapter is a good one.

Just wanted to share this.

• Like Like x 6
  2. JudyM

JudyM TalkEmount Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Maryland
    I've got the same thing going on. I've had good luck with Fotodiox adapters previously, but the last one I purchased has a large light leak in the lower right corner. I haven't tried applying any sort of fix yet, but I'm pretty confident I can seal it up. I do have to wonder how straight or aligned this thing is though, if it's that warped or misshapen to allow that much light in. I picked up another C/Y to NEX adapter of another brand, so it will be interesting to see how light tight that one is.

3. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I too just ordered another CY adapter Judy. This time a Kipon adapter. They seem to have some good reviews and are a little more pricey then the normal adapter. And they seem to mimic the Novoflex adapter pretty closely. I was so close to blowing just over 200 on the Novoflex because its 'made in Germany'. But at just under half the price the Kipon might do the trick.

You know, as popular as all these legacy adapters are you think somebody would come out with a quality, made in the USA version of these, price them right and then watch them sell like hot cakes. Hmmmmm, theres a business opportunity....

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I did some light leak tests earlier with the A7, with and without adapter. Even the Novoflex adapter capped with a (Minolta) body cap let in more light than the camera itself with its E-mount body cap. It's just that these tests are fairly extreme, although I still am of the opinion that Sony should deliver a light-tight box, not something that's almost that.