1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Life Expectancy / Average Shutter Actuations of an NEX body before problems start occurring?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Aug 31, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sent an Email to Sony Support asking that question week before last...they opened a Case #, then I never heard any more.

Sent a followup Email to that case # during this past week asking for status.
    Got the routine acknowledgement back, but again, total silence...have heard nothing more from them.

Anyone know of any official Sony position / documentation that speaks to life expectancy / average shutter actuations before troubles might be expected...on the NEX-7 for example?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I doubt there is a standard #, but here is an interesting database, the only kind I have ever seen. It does not include the NEX line, (it's a bit old).

http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php

So much depends on care/maintainance.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, have seen that...but no NEX-7, no help

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That is really the only thing I have seen, and it's after the fact.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And I'm surprised at the lack of response from Sony Support for almost 2 weeks...can't imagine they're ducking the question

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I just don't know if there is an actual answer they want to give.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Oh, I don't think there's any question that when a product is designed / engineered, they are done so with quality / reliability targets planned into the materials choice & construction...can't just throw stuff together and hope it works for a month, or a year, or 10 years, etc. The issue MAY be that Sony doesn't want to publicize the information, even with appropriate caveats.

8. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Ok, so the list does not have any of the NEX series. Seems like we'll have to wait for sony's answer

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just to update this, sony support has been missing in action on this simple question.
    I sent my 4th follow-up to the original case # I opened August 25th.
    Other than the automated system Email with the canned reply that someone would be taking care of this shortly, I've received nothing from sony about the question.
    Not a single answer.....and worse, not even the courtesy of a reply saying they don't know, or that they can't say, or that they won't say, etc.
    Nothing.

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There's not a "hard limit", but the manufacturer specifies an "expected" lifespan of the shutter.

For E-Mount cameras, you should expect at least 50k shutter actuations when you camera does not support an electronic first curtain shutter. With electronic first curtain shutter, 100k is a fair minimum, with a more realistic lifespan of 200k+ shutter actuations.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I would certainly think so...the problem has been finding / getting that official information.

Do you know of an official source (link?) for this info regarding the NEX-7 / NEX models?

12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    No, I don't know the specific sources anymore. But a few years back I did a quite extensive research about the life expectancy of different parts of cameras. Of course, the shutter is the part most prone to fail because it's actually moving. Sony's own estimation for earlier NEX models without electronic first curtain shutter was at 50k, while the NEX-7 with it's electronic first curtain shutter doubles that. Now, these estimates are, of course, relatively modest, but they provide a good measure of what you can expect at minimum from a camera.

And personally, I think it's more than enough. Except if you shoot sport at 11 fps. Or more than one wedding a week (a single wedding may account for more than 2k frames, depending on what's your shooting style). But for me, as a guy who shoots as few frames as possible to save work at deleting files in post, it's a limit I'll probably never reach.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I know it's a bit off topic, but Poki brings up a key point about shooting styles and genre. I once watched an documentary on famous sports photography. NFL photographers were saying they regularly shoot a couple thousand shots a game and ultimately submit only 2-3 for publication.

At the end of the day, your photography may play the bigger role in life expectancy than anything else.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That and the care you give your gear.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I understand various volumes of shots would get anyone to the target sooner ...but the question simply is :
    What's the target?

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA

FYI...another day has come and gone.
    Sony has still not responded to my August 25th question or any of the follow-up Emails.
    There is really no way to sugar-coat Sony Support's behavior on this for the past 3 weeks.
    It's unprofessional.

17. Schusskabob

Schusskabob TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Bob
    Try a phone call maybe???? I did have a question on my NEX-6 once and actually did get to talk with someone. I didn't get the answer I wanted (why can't I use a remote and auto bracketing together) but at least they talked with me. Also, I have in instances with other companies called sales/marketing first and had them transfer me to someone who could help. Those people ALWAYS answer promptly.

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sure, that's always an option.....however, I normally prefer to clearly and specifically explain something or ask a question using the written word...plus, that always allows for a more thorough response from the other party...it can be revisited / reviewed at a later date, etc.

As an aside, I've spent a couple hours on the Internet tonight searching every way I can imagine on the subject of "life expectancy of NEX-7 shutter" but other than it turning multiple instances of discussions exactly like this one, there apparently is zero written documentation on it from Sony.

And on that very point, some of the lengthy discussions that turned up focused heavily on the fact that sony refused to announce / document shutter life expectancy for the NEX line...yet sony had done so on other models...(as all the other major camera manufacturers routinely do).

Until further notice, the only conclusion I keep coming back to is that sony is not revealing the information because it's such a low number it would come across as a negative to consumers. ( Conversely, if it was a good high long life expectancy, they surely would have used it as a selling point in their overall marketing strategy to their advantage ).

Regardless, that doesn't excuse sony from 100% ignoring a customer's repeated Email communications to them.
    Not even about a problem or a complaint.....just a simple question about product quality expectations.....amazing.

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I shot around 30k with my NEX-5, so 50k for that one seems totally realistic. As the electronic first curtain shutter doubles the shutter life (because it only needs to actuate once per frame, not twice as usual) I'd guess newer Sony cameras have shutter lifes well at or above what the competition offers.

20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I get your frustration as to their complete lack of response. Very poor Customer Service.

At least they could simply say, "We don't have a number to give you," rather than completely ignoring you.