1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Let's get more compact

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Mar 19, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I would try from now one to carry more with me the nex camera. Having a compact lightweight body as it is would allow me to enjoy photo shooting even more.

I wanted to ask you though what would you take with you as very compact lenses? Right now the compact I have is the SEL16 but unfortunately is a bit too wide for daily shoots (I guess).

1.What else do we have in the front of compactness in native and manual lenses?
    2. Which lens would you consider compact for having always with you?
    3. If I allow you to select one more that is also considered compact from you what would you choose
    (remember both native and adapted lenses play here).

I am not sure I have decided on that and thus I would like to hear each one's opinion.

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

2. mmutlu

mmutlu New to TalkEmount

Feb 15, 2014
    Sony Sel 35 and Sel 20 are good for size and compactness

Sent from my Discovery using Tapatalk

3. mmutlu

mmutlu New to TalkEmount

Feb 15, 2014

Sent from my Discovery using Tapatalk

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Industar 61 ld is very compact, cheap and optically good (at least my copies are). Sigma 19 mm and 30mm aren't huge either. Top that with Vivitar 70mm-150mm/3.8 and I am ready to go.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    If you like your 16mm, you can simply crop down in PP.

The 19 and 30mm Sigma's and the SEL 35 and 20 are also great choices.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned the Sony SEL 16-50 PZ

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me compactness doesn't mean being able to carry the Nex inside your pocket but more like in a small camera bag (like the Think Tank Retrospective 5 to give you an idea).

So, personally I have my compactness covered with carrying 24/7 with me, my Nex-6 with the MD 24-35mm mounted (its not very wide @ 24mm but personally I don't shoot wider to be honest), the MD 50 f/1.4 for my portrait (and not only) lens. All these inside a Retro 5 bag. With the previous Nex-5 I was able to carry another lens of choice inside the Retro 5 (usually the MD 70-210) but since the purchase of the Nex-6 I'm now limited to only 2 lenses (mentioned above). I'll be soon upgrading to a Retro 7 that should fit a total of 3 lenses

8. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks for all the answers and especially from the minolta lover. Nick which are the most compact md zoom lenses you have? If you have already any shots of those please share them.

Regards
    Alex

9. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

How about a Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5. It's 23mm before the adapter. Manual focus, of course, but its a great little lens.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I usually bring the SEL16-50 when I need to be jacket-pocket compact. Otherwise, it's the Sign 30mm which is small but not that pocketable.

BTW - Nick that's a very nice bag. It was between that and a Domke for me.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The MD 24-35mm f/3.5 is the most compact md zoom lens I have - its about the size of the SEL18-55 I think (and not much bigger than the MD28 you have)

12. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    My Canon FD 28/2.8 is on my NEX most of the time and is reasonably compact. Compact enough to be smuggled in to concerts where 'no photography is allowed' - which should be re-phrased to 'no ipad wavers who block the view for everyone and no idiots who use flash at concerts allowed' - lol