1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Lessons Learned" from my first "Macro Field Trip"

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 10, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Fortunately, with the local University Arboretum only a half hour away, it is a free, year round, target rich environment which allowed me to have a 3 hour crash course in macro photography yesterday. Had a great time learning, experimenting, and came away with a few "lessons Learned" in my approach:

1)
    Basically, for 'my" macro photography abilities, a tripod is a must. I almost never used a tripod for routine field photos relying mostly on a monopod if I ever needed additional stability.
    The good news is in reading / preparing for this trip I committed to start out using it at the very beginning...and immediately confirmed I 'needed' it. Quickly developed a safe secure style of carrying it with camera mounted as I worked through the acreage of the Arboretum, it was not cumbersome at all, and it became second nature in no time. Even had a couple of occasions to reposition the legs out at more shallow angles to lower the mounting platform down to flower level...never did that before.

2)
    Aperture / Depth of Field is a huge priority in macro photography.

3)
    The 'like new' Canon FD 100mm/4.0 Macro Lens I bought last week for $99 is everything it was described to be...looks new, works like new, simply outstanding on the NEX-7 with a CIECEO7 FD/NEX Tripod Adapter...and has already earned a spot on my favorite lens short list.

Thanks for looking and for your comments...

• Like Like x 2
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Macro arm may be worthwhile addition to your kit. I hope that I am able to test drive mine during this summer, a huge project (2.5 years of programming is almost done now I will go to maintenance mode) has got juices out of me.

One technique that is often used with macro photographs is focus stacking (I believe than macro photography makes phrase 'photo lies more than 1000 words' very true).

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Another thing I forgot to mention...going through the course of many different types of flowers, many of which I didn't know the names of...I used the "voice memo recording" feature on my iPhone to record the name on the associated nameplate for each flower along with a brief description. Then I was able to correlate each brief recording to each set of photos in sequence when I transferred them to separate folders on my PC.
    Those that didn't have a name plate at the Arboretum, I used the description & photo to look them up when I got home...think I was able to ID all but a couple. Bottom line, the "voice memo recording" feature on the iPhone was outstanding for this purpose...kept it handy in a shirt pocket, only took a few seconds each time.