Lensrentals teardown: Sony FE 70-200mm GM

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Tipton, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Interesting read!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    The idea of taking apart lenses like this (especially if it cost a bomb) scares the s@%t out of me. What with the electronics and shims. OMG...

Looking forward to Part II of the teardown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Interesting articles.
    It makes you realise how complicated lenses are and what a nightmare it must be to get everything lined up perfectly so everything works optimally and can now appreciate lens variation.
    You can also appreciate where the cost comes into it.
    I'm always amazed how they manage to design these things with so many intricate parts etc, there's some smart cookies out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    This only takes you 3 hours into a 6 hours long process. And they have not figured out where the problem is yet. Heh.

This blog is always an interesting read.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
  7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I think I agree with one of the commenters - this teardown was superheroic.

I cannot conceive any way I would have kept going. Wow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I was surprised by the amount of processing going on in the lens. And I wonder if all that complexity is worth the trouble. I suppose I need to rent one of those and find out.

9. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Whenever I see the complexity and technology in lens teardowns, I wonder how many contemporary lenses will still be in service even 25 years from now.

I suppose it won't matter - we'll all be selecting stills from 64k video taken with our own eyes, or the replacement implants.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'll still be shooting large format film if I can help it. If I have to I'll do dry plate with homemade emulsion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The complexity may not be the biggest issue, I think the dependency on software and electronic interfacing is: how will these lenses be compatible with future cameras? If Sony E-mount becomes obsolete, the E-mount lenses will be effectively obsolete too. Unless there will be some smart guys in Nigeria (the new China :)) who will make super-smart adapters.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

That's one of the reasons why I left Nikon some years ago, stick with mainly old glass and don't invest mucho dineros into new lenses, even though they tend to keep their value much longer than digital bodies. I can easily fix any of my legacy lenses with a handful of relatively simple tools but wouldn't want to pay anyone to fix some glass that to me looks like as if it had been designed to fail after a few years in the field.

14. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I think often about how we become dependent on embedded technology versus the things that worked just fine back in the day and still do. And I realize I sound like the older generation did to my ears when I was considerably younger. :biggrin:

I do enjoy my old glass and the way it works more than the new stuff, although things like stabilization are nice for my aging hands. But if the zombie apocalypse happens we probably won't be able to use anything for photos - even chemical processes - so you might just as well use modern stuff if that floats yer boat. :cool:

(Is that a US expression? Means use what you like around my part of the world.)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Same meaning here in my part of the world Bob. :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Any digital image capturing device would possibly have a bit of an issue with the EMP whereas my trusty F2 or OM1 wouldn't give a damn - I'd be much more worried to get the exposure right :biggrin:.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Just remember what Egon said, don't cross the streams...it would be bad! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

19. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Back when I was younger and more foolish I repaired some AF lenses - a Minolta and a some Canon EF lenses, and I can attest that it is not for the faint of heart. And they are much simpler designs than Lensrental's Sony. What a beast!

• Like Like x 1